Help getting rid of unwanted connection line on chart

samiches

Hello everyone! Hopefully, there is an Excel guru out there who can help me.

I am using Excel 2010.

I have a "Scatter with Straight Lines" chart with 1 data series. The data series appears as expected except that I have a line connecting the last point in the series to the first. How can I prevent this connecting line from appearing?

My data points are (Date, Value) as you would expect to see in an historical trend. The data points are sorted by date, so every date is later than the previous.

Any help is appreciated.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
can you just right click on it and either colour it as the back ground or delete it

Upvote 0
can you just right click on it and either colour it as the back ground or delete it

Thanks for your reply.

Unless I misunderstood you, the short answer is no.

Long answer: The data that I want to see and the line connecting the first and last data points are all in the same data series. If I change the color, I would be changing the color of the entire series. Am I correct, or did I misunderstand your solution?

When I refer to the unwanted "line", I am talking about a connection line between two data points, not a separate line formed by a different data series.

Additionally, I am automatically generating a report through VBA and saving as a PDF for archiving and future viewing. My setup generates dozens of reports per day and archives them. My solution needs to be either VBA so I can run it when I generate the report, or a static configuration that will always apply to the charts.

Upvote 0
in the line charts I have used, you can manage it a bit at a time, the first click selects all, then further clicks for smaller pieces, never done it with a scatter so it might work differently

not tried that as a vba solution, but i guess it maybe doable if you can target the correct bit

Upvote 0
The first and last points would not be connected unless one of these points were duplicated at the opposite end. Or unless the sorting were disrupted, so that the last half of the data were listed before the first half. The line would start in the middle, go to the end, jump to the beginning, then proceed to the middle.

You could fudge the chart not to show the errant line segment, but it would be more valuable to figure out what's wrong with your data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hermansoa

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back