HELP! How to have Excel enter the correct currency symbol for each row?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!! I've been working on this for hours and I can't figure it out.

I have a spreadsheet showing estimate vs actual costs for a list of vendors. Here's my setup:

Column 1: list of vendors (domestic & international)
Column 2: Currency symbol ($, euro sign, pound sign)
Column 3: exchange rate
Column 4: estimated payment in dollars
Column 5: i'd like to fill this in with the estimated amount in dollars x the exchange rate and have the result answer in euros, pounds or dollars, based on the currency symbols in Column 2.
Column 6: actual payment in dollars
Column 7: i'd like to multiple the actual payment in dollars x exchange rate AND have the answer be in euros, pounds or dollars, depending on column 2 currency sign for that vendor (basically same as column 5)

Something like this: "if the currency symbol in column 2 is in dollars, take column 3 multiplied by column 4 and put the result in column 5 with the dollar symbol. Else, if the currency symbol in column 2 is in euros, take column 3 multiplied by column 4 and put the result in column 5 with the euro symbol. If the currency symbol in column 2 is in pounds, take column 3 multiplied by column 4 and put the result in column 5 with the dollar symbol."

Can you help me translate this into a formula? I'd like to avoid vlookup and vba b'c im not familiar with them.

THank you in advance!!!!!!!!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
It sounds like you may be using a different formatting of excel since you are telling us column numbers instead of column letters. If that is the case, you will need to modify the formulas for that method.

You use conditional formatting to do this. You need 3 rules.

The rules are:
Code:
=$B2="€"
=$B2="£"
=$B2="$"

Each rule should apply to the following range (change the end row number from 200 to whatever suits your actual range of data):

Code:
=$E$2:$E$200,$G$2:$G$200

Set the format of each one of those to the relevant currency format.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back