Help in creating generic month + previous month formula to calculate YTD

SoBadWithExcel

Office Version
  1. 365
Hello, everyone,

I must start with the fact that I have almost a kindergarten-level understanding of Excel. I have been tasked with creating a 12-sheet (monthly) template for keeping stats in several categories.

So far, my attempts to find help have been fruitless as I either find info that doesn't fit what I need OR I find something quite related but it really jumps quickly into language/understanding that I simply don't have.

So in my example, let's say monthly values are in column C and YTD is in column D. So if I am wanting July's YTD in row 3, I have been using this formula, which I got somewhere and does seem to work: =Jun!D3+Jul!C3

This formula gets me the right numbers month-on-month.

Where I get stuck is that I am having to do this manually for every YTD value for each new month. I find it impossible to believe that there does not exist a formula that includes within itself all previous months so that the same one can be used page after page. Is there a way to just say (in Excel-ese): SUMGenericPreviousMonthYTD+GenericCurrentMonthMonthly?

Please tell me this makes sense! As it is now, I have over 6 months' worth of manually inputting the formulas for each new month on each new sheet. Please tell me there is a way to do this where I can do it once and just copy sheets that will automatically add previous month without having to name it.

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
What is the naming convention for your monthly worksheets? "Jun2023" or something like this?

Upvote 0
Just the first three letters of the month, as I don’t need to do any crossover between years. Jan, Feb, etc.

Upvote 0
Will something like this work for you? Do you have a date on each tab? One is needed (could it be added)?
If there is a date what cell is it in?

The YTD formula creates a reference to the previously named month (sheet assuming a 3-letter sheet name like: Jan, Feb, Mar, ...) and Cell D3 on that tab (sheet).
The dynamic reference for the Aug YTD value would be "Jul!$D$3". And the value of cell C3 is added to it.

Please let me know if this needs to be tweaked.

PrevMoYTDCalc.xlsx
ABCD
1Month
2Aug-23Month BalYTD Bal
Aug
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3D3=INDIRECT(TEXT($A$2-1,"mmm") & "!$D$3") + C3

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back