How to calculate YTD Actuals and ignore future month's forecast

jekl1000

Hi all,

I maintain a spreadsheet that tracks monthly actuals and forecasts for future months. In the "YTD Actuals" and "Remaining Forecast" fields I have to change the formula each month to accommodate there being one more month of Actuals and one less month of Remaining data.

I have seen suggestions to use SUMIF or OFFSET but not sure those work for how I have the data laid out in my spreadsheet. Does anyone have a dynamic formula (for M2 in the image below) that would only sum the months up to the current month? It would also be great to have another formula for N3 that only sums remaining month's data.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1697038782411.png

Attachments

• 1697038529710.png
    1697038529710.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 9

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
try this:
It requires your month headers to be date values. Also, this has the TODAY() function embeded, it will change everymonth whether you like it or not.
You may have to enter it with the CNTL-SHFT-ENTR keystroke combination, depending on your version (you should update that in your profile).

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDecYTD ActualsRemaining ForecastEOY Estimate
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:L1B1=EDATE(A1,1)
M2M2=SUM((MONTH(TODAY())>MONTH($A$1:$L$1))*($A$2:$L$2))
N2N2=SUM((MONTH(TODAY())<=MONTH($A$1:$L$1))*($A$2:$L$2))
O2O2=SUM(M2:N2)

Upvote 0
Solution
try this:
It requires your month headers to be date values. Also, this has the TODAY() function embeded, it will change everymonth whether you like it or not.
You may have to enter it with the CNTL-SHFT-ENTR keystroke combination, depending on your version (you should update that in your profile).

This worked perfect; thank you so much! I had the headers as a date but they are formatted to show MMM. I wish I had done this a long time ago because I actually have 20+ line items and the manual updates each month in these columns get missed sometimes. Thank you again!

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the the feedback. If your timeline has multiple years then you'll need to filter for the year as well. In your example it does not seem that way so it I don't think it is needed.

Best Wishes!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SCleaveland

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back