damian_r_Home

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
80033732.jpg

I think anyone who could help me on this may really need golf knowledge (especially Stapleford scoring system)

Above is a basic spreadsheet that I’m trying to create for me and a few friends in which we are going to log all our golf scores.

The problem I’m having is getting the Stapleford points bit to work in cell H6, by using the handicap score in cell E6 against the hole difficulty in cell H4.

Basically you are allowed an extra number of shoots on your round of golf (this is your handicap). Depending on the difficulty of the hole (ranges from 1 to 18, 1 being the hardest) it depends on the number of extra shots you get.
Example being Handicap of 28 you get one extra shot on every hole, which uses up 18 of you additional shots, and then another shot on holes difficulties 1 to 8. Someone with a handicap of 9 would only get an extra shot on hole difficulties 1 to 9.
Right, are you still with me?
The number of points you get now depends on the number of shots you took. i.e. the par for the hole + the number of extra shots you were allowed = your par.
If you took the same number of shots as your par you get 2 points, 1 shot above your par you get 1 point, 2 shots over and more you get no points. For every shot under your par you get another point i.e. 1 shot under = 3 points, 2 shots under = 4 points, etc, etc.
Now you see why I think someone with golf knowledge really may be the only ones who can help here.

If necessary I would be very happy to send the spreadsheet I’ve done so far (less all my failed formulas and lookups) if it makes it easier for anyone to help me.

Thanks in advance

Damian

Re: Help on formula in Golf Spread sheet - Golf knowledge ne

GorD said:
Damian, you are right we in the UK use the scoring as you have stated. Bravo_1 does say that we would need to adjust the points to our particular scoring system.

2pts par (net)
3pts birdie (net)
4pts eagle (net)
5pts albatross (net)
6pts (Aye, you should be so lucky)

Also not sure what Parry is refering to with the "ringing Holes". Does that refer to Mulligans ?- if so these don't exist in the UK either

Hi GorD, definetly not mulligans! We in NZ use the same stableford system as you. Ringing a hole means that youve done so badly you are not going to get any points so the ball is picked up without finishing the hole. The score is then put on the card as a score equivalent to 1 stableford point but a circle is drawn around the score on the card. This means that no stableford point should be given and is called a "ringer". It often happens if the players behind are waiting too long and in an effort to speed up play. Personally I finish a hole even if Im not scoring any points because I want to have a true gross score.

Btw, whats wrong with the example I gave? It should be the correct points values.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

Ah I see, that bit is different then. If you have a no score here it is just marked as a N/R - no return. However our whole handicap system is now based on stableford scoring and for that the worst you can score is a nett double bogey (no points). So at a par 4, getting a stroke if you scored 10, for handicap purposes that would become a 7 (nett double bogey). So even if you don't complete every whole, it is still possible to have your handicap cut.

Who said there was something wrong with your example. I just didn't understand the terminology of a "ringer" but you do raise a good point that whatever solution would need to cope with no scores (which may be text here)

Upvote 0

It's raining here, got bored so I use Parry's example for this. Still needs more error trappings.
Book1
ABCDEFG
1HoleParHndcpScoreNetScorePointsHandicap
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Well, I have finally finished the spreadsheet, here it is

80405565.jpg

Thanks to all those who helped and if you want a copy just PM me with your email address and I’ll send it over (As promised it's completely unlocked so you can play with it until your heart's content).

Once again, thanks to all those who helped.

Damian

Upvote 0
Warning... This is an anti-golf post... I kept it clean, but don't go reaching for your 9-Iron caus I did warn you :)

<rant>
Golf is pointless... Go get drunk and putz with a windmill @ the put-n-put for a few hours...

This is why golf is pointless... its based on a game where you hit a ball, go find it, hit it again, go find it.... If you ask me, you hit it, you find it, you won! It's also about as entertaining to watch as watching molasis drip, but anyways :)
</rant>

good luck on the spreadsheet though

Upvote 0

Hi GorD, thats interesting. We use the US Slope rating here in NZ for handicapping but we still use the 'old' method for scoring stablefords - or at least I think we still do! I used to do the local clubs handicapping under the old Calculated Course Rating system many years ago.

Good golfing to you. :)

Upvote 0

parry said:
Hi GorD, thats interesting. We use the US Slope rating here in NZ for handicapping but we still use the 'old' method for scoring stablefords - or at least I think we still do! I used to do the local clubs handicapping under the old Calculated Course Rating system many years ago.

Good golfing to you. :)

parry,

We use a "modified" scoring system where we play. We don't give any points for bogeys...... :LOL:

This thread did make me surf the net for Stableford scoring...very interesting...if you're a golfer.

Upvote 0

Brian from Maui said:
parry,

We use a "modified" scoring system where we play. We don't give any points for bogeys...... :LOL:

This thread did make me surf the net for Stableford scoring...very interesting...if you're a golfer.

Bummer, Im not going to score much then! :LOL:

Yes there are heaps of different scoring systems and some interesting variations of golf. Have a game of bloodsomes with some friends one day - its a laugh. Its 4 players (2 teams) where you both drive and then your opponents pick which of the 2 balls you got to hit next. Youll need plenty of time with few people on the course as its slow going - we just play over 9 holes. :)

Upvote 0

Is it possible to have the formula to only give a maximum of one shot on any par 3's on the course no matter the size of your handicap?

Upvote 0

Hi,

if you are still around, hey I have never been able to find an active stable ford excel link and need one if you could help me.

best rgds
amit
golfupdate

Well, I have finally finished the spreadsheet, here it is

80405565.jpg

Thanks to all those who helped and if you want a copy just PM me with your email address and I’ll send it over (As promised it's completely unlocked so you can play with it until your heart's content).

Once again, thanks to all those who helped.

Damian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alan the procrastinator

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back