Help required by an expert excel programmer.

saranorton

Hi,
I have an enormous inventory list on excel containing fields including date of purchase, item name, classification (as display, accessory, hardware, software, multimedia etc. etc.) and price. Each item is copied several times in the sheet in new row every time depending on quantity. For example if I have 100 Logitech keyboards in stock, there will be 100 ROWS showing it in stock at different places in the sheet.

NOW.. I want to allocate a unique SERIAL NUMBER for every item in every row. Like for Mouse, for eg, CAMOU00001, CAMOU00002…… and for keyboard, for eg, CAKYB00001, CAKYB00002……

The Problem is that everything is present in so huge quantity that I want to build up a formula that can just see the classification of the row, then find the last serial number for the same classification and add +1 to it.. it should be left blank If the classification in that row is blank. it will help me by just pasting the formula and saving time.

Can anyone help me out building up such a formula for allocating ALPHA-NUMERIC SERIAL NUMBERS to my inventory lists?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back