Help With DateDiff

Evagrius Ponticus

Hi,

I am not sure if DateDiff can do this. The code below give me 7. But I want the answer to include only full months - not partial months. I know that can be done in Excel using the Datedif, but not sure if it is possible using the VB Datediff.

So I would like 6 to be the answer below because there are only 6 full month between the two dates.

cells(MyRow, "s") = 8/31/2013

cells(15,Mycol) = 3/2/2014

Code:
 Cells(MyRow, MyCol).Value = DateDiff("d", Cells(MyRow, "S"), Cells(15, MyCol))

Emma - I used the updated version and it is correct. I don't think I'll make any changes to it though unless you think it is necessary. Maybe once I understand the structure better I can condensce it. Thanks,

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Black Tiger

It depends what you mean by "full months".

For example, with a start date of 12/31/2007 and an end date of 2/29/2008 the code will return 29 days, but there are exactly 2 complete calendar months between the two dates.

Upvote 0
Boller - imho, that's a somewhat strange definition of 2 months. Your logic is irrefutable, but I think that the code returns what I would expect to see for those dates.

However, it is of course entirely down to what Black Tiger wants to see ;)

Upvote 0
How aboiut this...
Code:
Sub x()
Dim d, a, b
a = Range("e1").Value
b = Range("f1").Value

If Day(a) > Day(b) Then
          d = DateDiff("m", a, b) - 1
     Else
          d = DateDiff("m", a, b)
     End If

Range("d1") = d
End Sub

Upvote 0
Boller - imho, that's a somewhat strange definition of 2 months. Your logic is irrefutable, but I think that the code returns what I would expect to see for those dates.

However, it is of course entirely down to what Black Tiger wants to see ;)

Why would you think it strange?

As I wrote in my post, it is 2 complete calendar months.

Would it not also be strange to descibe it as 1 month 29 days?

Also, if the end date is only 1 day later (3/1/08 instead of 2/29/08), the result would go from 1 month 29 days to 2 months 1 day.
To where did the exact 2 months difference disappear?

Upvote 0
Boller - I'm not arguing that it isn't 2 months - as I said, your logic is irrefutable. I guess my original response was badly worded (too late at night) - it's not so much that I think that it would be strange to return an answer of two months - more that I think it's strange to require that to be the answer. I think that it's reasonable to only return an exact month answer when the day numbers are the same.

But as I said before, it's entirely dependent on what BlackTiger wants, so I think we can safely agree to disagree until he responds! If you want to produce some code that deals with your objection, feel free ;)

Upvote 0
"I think that it's reasonable to only return an exact month answer when the day numbers are the same."

That's a somewhat strange definition. Your logic is refutable.

In fact, I think it's unreasonable.

However, when calculating date differences, there is no absolute method.
It depends solely upon user requirements.

I can think of many instances where the return of complete calendar months is needed (rather than your definition of complete months).
For example, where a pension entitlement, or leave entitlement, etc. are based upon the number of complete months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back