Help with Macro

tarmand

Board Regular
I have a a file in excel that contains a different sheet for each project and a sheet for a purchase order listing. I can't run a project report that lists vendor names, but I can run a project report that lists purchase orders and then run a purchase order lisiting. So, I need to have a macro run through my project report and match the purchase order on the report to the purchase order listing, grab that vendor name and insert it into a new row in the project report file. I would like to manually run the macro for each project sheet.

I need a macro that I can run to do the following:

Search in column "E" of my project report for a purchase order number (some will be empty)
Search in column "H" of the purchase order listing in the same workbook. It is named "Download" for the same purchase order number
Insert a column after column "E" in my project report titled "Vendor"
Insert the corresponding Vendor name from column "F" of the "Download" (purchase order) sheet in the new column.
If there is no purchase order, I need the Vendor column to be blank.

I'm really not good with creating macros. Here is what I have, but it's not working. I got this from another macro I use and tried to adjust it for my needs. Can anyone help? When I run this macro, it inserts the column, but doesn't put a vendor name in the inserted column.

Sub Vendor()

Columns("F").EntireColumn.Insert
Range("F1") = "Vendor"

Range([F4], [F65536].End(xlUp)).Offset(, 1) = _
"=VLOOKUP(F4,'Download'!$H$2:$F$2000,3,false)"
End Sub

Edited because I figured out part of my error, but it still doesn't work.

Yes, that actually makes more sense. :biggrin:
Only question I'm left with is this. Your request was to put the vendor into row 4 of column F and the lookup formula in column F of the row below the end of column C.
Obviously this will overwrite each vendor name and lookup formula with the next one for each po number found, leaving only the data for the last found po displayed.
How do you want to handle that?

Also, it seems to me the lookup formula is just returning the value in column H of the download sheet that’s being matched from column E of the active sheet. Is that what you’re looking to do?

Just as a suggestion, how about if we match each number from activesheet column E with Download sheet column H, and where there's a match, simply list the vendor name in column F next to the matched number on the active sheet? Is that anythng like what you're looking for, or do you need the matched number to be in column F down below the end of column C's data for some reason?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Just as a suggestion, how about if we match each number from activesheet column E with Download sheet column H, and where there's a match, simply list the vendor name in column F next to the matched number on the active sheet? Is that anythng like what you're looking for, or do you need the matched number to be in column F down below the end of column C's data for some reason?

That's exactly what I wanted to do. I didn't want to list the results in row 4 only, I want the vendor name to show in the same row as the purchase order number, but in the new column "F".

Thanks,
Tammie

Upvote 0
Hi Tammie,
Try replacing the existing code with this & see what you think.
Code:
Sub Demo()
Dim DownloadRng As Range, _
    ProjectRng As Range, _
    ProjectNo As Range, _
    ProjectFound As Range

With Sheets("Download")
  Set DownloadRng = .Range("H1:H" & .Cells(Rows.Count, "H").End(xlUp).Row)
End With

Set ProjectRng = Range("E1:E" & Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row)
Range("F1").Value = "Vendor"

For Each ProjectNo In ProjectRng
  Set ProjectFound = DownloadRng.Find(ProjectNo, lookat:=xlWhole)
  If Not ProjectFound Is Nothing Then
    With Cells(ProjectNo.Row, "F")
      .Value = ProjectFound.Offset(, -2).Value
    End With
  Else
    MsgBox ("The project number - " & ProjectNo & " - was not found on the Downloads sheet."), , "Project not found"
  End If
Next

End Sub

Upvote 0
That's great. I'd like to make one change, but I am so afraid that I will mess the whole thing up. Can you take out the prompt box stating that no vendor name was found and just have it leave the vendor name blank for those purchase orders that have no match?

Thanks so much! You are a life and timesaver!

Tammie

Upvote 0
You're very welcome.
Sorry it's taking so long to get back to you. You'd never believe what's been going on
here. (18.5 (+) inches of rain in 2 days really plays havoc on an electric company.) :unsure:

Anyway, that change is easy. Just need to delete a few lines.
Code:
Sub Demo()
Dim DownloadRng As Range, _
    ProjectRng As Range, _
    ProjectNo As Range, _
    ProjectFound As Range

With Sheets("Download")
  Set DownloadRng = .Range("H1:H" & .Cells(Rows.Count, "H").End(xlUp).Row)
End With

Set ProjectRng = Range("E1:E" & Cells(Rows.Count, "E").End(xlUp).Row)
Range("F1").Value = "Vendor"

For Each ProjectNo In ProjectRng
  Set ProjectFound = DownloadRng.Find(ProjectNo, lookat:=xlWhole)
  If Not ProjectFound Is Nothing Then _
    Cells(ProjectNo.Row, "F").Value = ProjectFound.Offset(, -2).Value
Next

End Sub

How's that grab ya?

Upvote 0
That's perfect!!!!!!!

So sorry about all the rain. If I ruled the world I'd only let it rain at night while people are sleeping. :biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back