Help With My Checkbook

Justinian

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to write a formula so that all expenses for January get summed in a cell below my checkbook labeled "January." I need a formula that sees if the word January is entered into a cell and if January is entered, no matter in how many cells, the formula adds those expenses into my total cell below which is also named January. The same applied for February and all months of the year. How do I do this?

Your last reply sounds rude. You could have just said it was formatting.
It sounds bad because the focus lays on giving a lesson, but doesn't talk about the formula you recieved.

Your example had dollar signs isn't it? So you were not sure why I assumed that?
You told that SUM.IF didn't work. Since SUM.IF DOES work - just following the helpfiles anyone can find out that it does - I was trying to figure out the reason why it wouldn't work for you. That's the main reason to assume that the $ signs were the problem.
I hope that you will see that.

You also stated that a PIVOT table wouldn't work. I'm sure it does too. RoyUK pulled back after that statement (he gave you a second chance after you misunderstood his 1ste reply): that was very clever to my sense, it could have been better for me if I followed him.

So I think we are not made for each other.
Farewell!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
You aren't helping yourself with your replies to any suggestions.

You have already been asked to provide an example workbook so use something like DropBox.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back