Help with number format and VLOOKUP

jcaptchaos2

I have a cell in one spread sheet that has =CONCATENATE(G5,H5), it combines the number 8080810 and 813600 to make 8080810813600. I have I have other cells with the same formula. In another spread sheet I have a Vlookup formula that looks at a cell with the number in it that should be the same returning an N/A because obviously the number doesn't match the number in the table. When I type the number in the cell that the lookup is looking at it comes out as 8.08081E+12 if I copy and paste special the CONCATENATE formula the lookup works fine. Like I said there are other formula's and numbers just like the one I listed that work fine it appears to be a problem with the new numbers I'm typing in. I think it must have something to do with the format.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.

barry houdini

MrExcel MVP
When you use concatenate the result is text and therefore you don't get a match with a numeric value that looks the same. Convert the text to numeric by using a +0 at the end of your concatenate formula, i.e.

=CONCATENATE(G5,H5)+0

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htran4