Help with v lookup to skip blanks

MarkDave

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, losing my mind with this formula. In sheet one, I need a v lookup that looks at sheet 2, where there may be two options. My v lookup needs to ignore the blank one, then look again until it see the cell with text in and then return that value - any ideas?!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
any ideas?
Yes, two

1. I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

2. MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
Changed details; windows and o365 - I don’t even no where to start to be honest, tried everything and keep deleting, so nothing even worth sharing ?

Upvote 0
Hi, losing my mind with this formula. In sheet one, I need a v lookup that looks at sheet 2, where there may be two options. My v lookup needs to ignore the blank one, then look again until it see the cell with text in and then return that value - any ideas?!
VLOOKUP will always return the first instance it finds.

A few options:

1. Can you sort your lookup range, so that all the rows with blanks in that column are sorted to the bottom of your list? Then your VLOOKUP function will hit the matches with values first, and should work.

2. Are the values you trying to return numeric? If so, you might be able to use SUMIF instead, to sum up the two matches rows (+/blank plus any number will just return that number).

Upvote 0
nothing even worth sharing
Some sample data and the expected results (entered manually) is what we are looking for, so we know what you are dealing with in terms of data, layout, expectations etc. otherwise we are taking a complete guess about what is in front of you. ?

Upvote 0
Curious...how did you resolve it?

Upvote 0
Glad to hear you got the solution.

Do you mind posting about your solution? Then it is perfectly fine to mark your post as the solution to help future readers. Otherwise, please do not mark a post that doesn't contain a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w88mp

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back