help with write back - power apps - power BI

ajm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I just don't get it. I am using PBI desktop (Version: 2.117.984.0 64-bit (May 2023)). the goal is to create a report that shows a table. each line in this table is an activity. my users would like to be able to view the activities assigned to them and then add commentary. the commentary will then be written back to the source table. My data source is a spreadsheet housed in a onedrive folder. I have imported the data into my PBI model. then i get lost with creating the power app. i am trying to synthesize rezza dorani's and "how to Power BI's" you tube clips but i just don't get the same results they do. can anyone help?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
You’re correct that you need an addition tool for writeback. I find Power Apps a step too far. Of course, you can learn it, but I’ve tried and found it “not easy enough”. You could look at InfoRiver. It has writeback built in.

Upvote 0
****. inforiver looks good. i started reading up on it last week but then realised it wasn't free. i am working within a corporate environment and they won't shell out for additional software. so, power apps it is. thanks matt. one thing i noticed last night after posting here was that rezza appears to be using the cloud version of powerBI, not the desktop version. i have started to rebuild my model in that version to see if power apps works better.

Upvote 0
Writing back with Power Apps is not that hard though but not the easiest approach. I have done this but it is not working as nice as I thought it would be.

Using Excel and Power Query instead of PBI will be easier and more mainainable.

Upvote 0
Writing back with Power Apps is not that hard though but not the easiest approach. I have done this but it is not working as nice as I thought it would be.

Using Excel and Power Query instead of PBI will be easier and more mainainable.
so, use excel to hold reports that need data entry and then load to power bi via power query? that's the approach i am having to take while i try and figure things out. get the job done then do it "right"

Upvote 0
if it is used for data entry too, you can definitely use Power Apps. Then you can add comments to “open” activities and even change activities, all done within the app.
Write all App data to a sharepoint list and use this data in Power BI to visualize. Could be a challenge but Power Apps is actually really doable.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back