Help!!!

Herb237

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have the following sheet showing consequence, probability and the corresponding risk of an action.
  1. I would like to create a tool where the Consequence and Probability are drop down lists.
  2. I will like that in the Risk column, the corresponding risk is automatically displayed when I select a Consequence and Probability from the dropdown lists'
  3. Is it possible to change the colour of the risk cell to correspond to the risk of the event? E.g. a range of colours start from Green in the Very Low Risk to Red in the Very High Risk
Thank you.

ConsequenceProbabilityRisk
MinorUnlikelyVery Low Risk
MinorLow LikelihoodVery Low Risk
MinorLikelyLow Risk
MinorHigh LikelihoodLow Risk
MildUnlikelyVery Low Risk
MildLow LikelihoodLow Risk
MildLikelyLow to Moderate Risk
MildHigh LikelihoodModerate Risk
MediumUnlikelyLow Risk
MediumLow LikelihoodLow to Moderate Risk
MediumLikelyModerate Risk
MediumHigh LikelihoodHigh Risk
SevereUnlikelyLow to Moderate Risk
SevereLow LikelihoodModerate Risk
SevereLikelyHigh Risk
SevereHigh LikelihoodVery High Risk

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Assuming your table is on Sheet1; in G1 of sheet1 create the validation list for Consequence using the formula =SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER(A2:A100,A2:A100<>"")))
Copy G1 to H1 and you will get the validation list for Probability

Now you may set a validation for the "consequence" using for the Source the formula=Sheet1!$G$1#
Similarly set a validation for the "probability" using the formula =Sheet1!$H$1#

If A2 is the cell for Consequence and B2 is the cell for Probability then you may retrieve the associated "Risk" using the formula =INDEX(FILTER(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B2)),1)
"Index" is useless if you guarantee that each Consequence /Probability has only one corrispondence

Try...

PS: don't use "Help" for your next question, that will not catch the attention of the experts...

Upvote 0
Solution
As for Conditional formatting:
-copy Sheet1-H1 to I1 to get the list of Risks
-manually write a color index in column J
-then conditional format the cell where you calculate the associated risk using VlookUp the cell value to Sheet1!I1:J20

Try...

Upvote 0
Assuming your table is on Sheet1; in G1 of sheet1 create the validation list for Consequence using the formula =SORT(UNIQUE(FILTER(A2:A100,A2:A100<>"")))
Copy G1 to H1 and you will get the validation list for Probability

Now you may set a validation for the "consequence" using for the Source the formula=Sheet1!$G$1#
Similarly set a validation for the "probability" using the formula =Sheet1!$H$1#

If A2 is the cell for Consequence and B2 is the cell for Probability then you may retrieve the associated "Risk" using the formula =INDEX(FILTER(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B2)),1)
"Index" is useless if you guarantee that each Consequence /Probability has only one corrispondence

Try...

PS: don't use "Help" for your next question, that will not catch the attention of the experts...
Wow, thank you very much Anthony47. Your method has successfully replicated the corresponding risks. However, for my purpose, I have consequences and probability as drop down list. It is my expectation that when i select both, I should get a corresponding risk in a third cell. For example, when i choose Minor as a consequence and Unlikely as a probability, I would like for the Risk cell to display Very Low Risk.

Could you assist me further with that? Thank you again.

Upvote 0
There should be a misunderstandig...
I gave you the formulas to create the validation lists for Consequence and Probability (G1 and H1 on Sheet1)
Then I gave you the formula to retrieve from the table on Sheet1 the Risk depending on a set Consequence and a set Probability; this formula is
Code:
=INDEX(FILTER(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B2)),1)

This assumes a probability is set in A2 (validated cell) and a risk is set in B2 (validated cell)
And when A2=Minor and B2=Unlikely then the formula returns Very Low Risk

Cartel1
ABC
1ConsequenceProbabilityRisk
2MinorUnlikelyVery Low Risk
4Orange: Data validated cells
5Yellow: calculated cell
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=INDEX(FILTER(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B2)),1)

Upvote 0
There should be a misunderstandig...
I gave you the formulas to create the validation lists for Consequence and Probability (G1 and H1 on Sheet1)
Then I gave you the formula to retrieve from the table on Sheet1 the Risk depending on a set Consequence and a set Probability; this formula is
Code:
=INDEX(FILTER(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B2)),1)

This assumes a probability is set in A2 (validated cell) and a risk is set in B2 (validated cell)
And when A2=Minor and B2=Unlikely then the formula returns Very Low Risk

Cartel1
ABC
1ConsequenceProbabilityRisk
2MinorUnlikelyVery Low Risk
4Orange: Data validated cells
5Yellow: calculated cell
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2C2=INDEX(FILTER(Sheet1!$C$1:$C$100,(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$100=A2)*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$100=B2)),1)
Thank you very much Anthony47 for all your help. It was my misunderstanding. It works perfectly now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back