Hiding Formulas from the formula bar.

SteveGoodman

After managing to hide the formula from the function paste wizard thing (fx button), I now want to be able to hide the formula, when the user clicks on the cell, from the formula bar, and when the user double clicks on the cell the fomula is displayed.

Any ideas?

Steve

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
From Help:

Hide or unhide formulas

To prevent formulas from displaying in the formula bar, you must format the cells that contain the formulas as hidden and then protect the worksheet. Follow the procedure below to hide formulas. To unhide hidden formulas, remove the protection from the worksheet.

1. Select the range of cells whose formulas you want to hide. You can also select nonadjacent ranges or the entire sheet.

2. On the Format menu, click Cells, and then click the Protection tab.

3. Select the Hidden check box.

4. Click OK.

5. On the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Protect Sheet.

6. Make sure the Contents check box is selected.

Upvote 0
You can do this by selecting the cell whose formula you want to hide, choosing Format, Cells, Protection and checking the Hidden checkbox. You need to protect the sheet before this has any effect.

Upvote 0
Dear Sir,

I understood and i did this already but, once i protect and saved that sheet, i can't able to enter any values in that sheet, if i type any values it shown as "pls unprotect your sheet and give values", for me its ok, but if i give to other user means they should not see that formulas. Pls give me your suggestion.

Thanks!

Regards,
Ragu

From Help:

Hide or unhide formulas

To prevent formulas from displaying in the formula bar, you must format the cells that contain the formulas as hidden and then protect the worksheet. Follow the procedure below to hide formulas. To unhide hidden formulas, remove the protection from the worksheet.

1. Select the range of cells whose formulas you want to hide. You can also select nonadjacent ranges or the entire sheet.

2. On the Format menu, click Cells, and then click the Protection tab.

3. Select the Hidden check box.

4. Click OK.

5. On the Tools menu, point to Protection, and then click Protect Sheet.

6. Make sure the Contents check box is selected.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back