highlight row / column with conditional formatting

markstro

Board Regular
I have a workbook saved as Excel 97/2003 workbook*.xls (compatibility mode) that uses the following VBA and conditional formatting to highlight the row/column the selected cell occupies.

VBA
Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) Application.ScreenUpdating = True

Conditional Formatting formula
=OR(AND(CELL("row")=ROW(),COLUMN()<=CELL("col")),AND(CELL("col")=COLUMN(),ROW()<=CELL("row")))

This combination works just fine in the 97/2003 workbook, but not another saved as *.xlsm format.

What changed between Excel 97-2003 and Excel 2007??
I run a compatibility check and get an overlapping conditional formatting problem, not sure how to fix it or if it is what is effecting my formatting to work.

I have used this formatting / code successfully on other workbooks saved as 97/2003 but have problems getting it to work in Excel 2007.

I have one more rule that makes any value of zero text the same as the fill color, I only see the values above zero that way, all zeros are hidden.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
That's the first time you have mentioned another rule. Do you also have that rule in your Excel 2003 workbook?

There are 2 other ways of suppressing zeroes. Firstly, you can uncheck 'Zero values' under Window options on the View tab of the Tools|Options dialog. Secondly, you can format the cell as eg:

0;0;

the key being the second semicolon.

One of the advantages of those 2 methods over yours is that you still don't see the zeroes in cells that are highlighted when a range is selected. The other is that they are built-in, so there will be no calculation overhead.

Upvote 0
thank you for that tip, I will definitely use it. Never thought to ask if there was another way to do that.

I will delete that rule and see what happens. Back to you soon.

Upvote 0
OK, I've deleted that rule, now I only have one rule, still no joy with the VBA / formatting?

Upvote 0
Not sure if this made it work, but after I re-pasted the conditional formula from the working worksheet, it worked, same vernacular, just started working after I did that. Thanks for all your help Andrew. If anything, I learned the hidden zero tip.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back