Highlighting a range of cells only if any cell in that range contains any text.

amaresh achar

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am looking for a conditional formatting formula to highlight a range of cells only if any cell in that range contains any text, (as explained below):

I have a cell range J23:S23. If any cell among this range contains any text, then entire cell range J23:S23 should be highlighted in yellow.

I want format paint this formula, to 1000 such ranges up to J1036:S1036 (if I get formula for single range)

Or even a single formula (if possible) to cover entire 1000 rows also welcome...

Thanks in Advance...

The second column states where to set up the CF. e.g. $J$23:$S$23.

Set the CF's for $J$23:$S$23 first and test it.
Tried.. but it isnt working as per my requirement.. if the cell are blank... then only that cell is highlighting in yellow.. I think I am not getting it right.. can you please apply that rule on a sheet and share it...??

1.jpg

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Tried.. but it isnt working as per my requirement.. if the cell are blank... then only that cell is highlighting in yellow.. I think I am not getting it right.. can you please apply that rule on a sheet and share it...??

View attachment 95755
Can you post an image, using actual data, to indicate what you need. Having all cells with the same value does not help.

Upvote 0
Can you post an image, using actual data, to indicate what you need. Having all cells with the same value does not help.
ok.. the sheet I attached is basically the afterworks of this post:

I have the following values in my sheet:

E23: 287.2
F23: 289.2

If any cell in the range J23:S24 is blank, then NO FILL.

If any cell in the range J23:S24 has value which is between cell values of E23 and F23, then fill that cell with LIGHT GREEN background color and DARK GREEN Text color else fill that cell with LIGHT RED background color and DARK RED Text color.

If any cell in the range J23:S23 has text, then highlight the entire J23:S23 range.
If any cell in the range J24:S24 has text, then highlight the entire J24:S24 range.

I am creating the excel sheet to explain this .. I will post it shortly..

Upvote 0
ok.. the sheet I attached is basically the afterworks of this post:

I have the following values in my sheet:

E23: 287.2
F23: 289.2

If any cell in the range J23:S24 is blank, then NO FILL.

If any cell in the range J23:S24 has value which is between cell values of E23 and F23, then fill that cell with LIGHT GREEN background color and DARK GREEN Text color else fill that cell with LIGHT RED background color and DARK RED Text color.

If any cell in the range J23:S23 has text, then highlight the entire J23:S23 range.
If any cell in the range J24:S24 has text, then highlight the entire J24:S24 range.

I am creating the excel sheet to explain this .. I will post it shortly..
2.JPG

Upvote 0
Will a row ever have a mixture of 'alphabets' and values that need the red / green formatting?

A realistic example of the data with all possible scenarios will be good.

Upvote 0
Will a row ever have a mixture of 'alphabets' and values that need the red / green formatting?

A realistic example of the data with all possible scenarios will be good.
"Will a row ever have a mixture of 'alphabets' and values that need the red / green formatting?" - No there will never be such case... even such case is simulated, then I want to highlight entire row in yellow.. (Including the cells containing values in that row)

They are almost realistic examples.. but ok I am preparing some examples for you... I will post it as soon as I complete..

Upvote 0
"Will a row ever have a mixture of 'alphabets' and values that need the red / green formatting?" - No there will never be such case... even such case is simulated, then I want to highlight entire row in yellow.. (Including the cells containing values in that row)

They are almost realistic examples.. but ok I am preparing some examples for you... I will post it as soon as I complete..
3.JPG

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back