Hourly Rate for Spreadsheet Consulting

bbatson

What would you estimate the average hourly rate is for spreadsheet consulting? Obviously the rate will vary from consultant to consultant and from project to project, but what is a reasonable range to charge, in your opinion?

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Charge what you think the market will bear :)

You will see that all of the consultants have been quiet and understandably so.

About 18 months ago I did some 'extra mural' work for some ex-colleagues. I charged them at £350/d (~$700/d) based upon a quote for X days and if I didn't find a solution after X days then no fees and a maximum of X days. I actually use a similar formula professionally for consultancy (not Excel) - i.e. I will charge you at my day rate up to a maximum days but will bill you for days actually spent.

The £350/d was based on my minimum professional charge out rate for the company that I work for divided by two as I have no real overheads as an individual.

I should add that I am not an 'Excel professional' - far from it. My company charge me out as a chemist.

Food for thought?

Upvote 0
I tried answering last night but the Board cut out at the critical moment. Try the following:

1. Taking into account no paid holidays, sick leave or super, and therefore thinking of the whole package, work out what you would like to earn for the year (without being silly...)
2. Divide this by 48 or 49 to allow for 4 (or 3) weeks' vacation. This is your weekly target
3. Work out your average weekly billable hours, and divide weekly by hours to get your hourly rate. Be conservative here. Most consultatnts assume about 75% billable hours. For corporates, raise this a bit. For small clients, drop it a bit.

Each year, based on your experience and the industry you are working in, revise.

Denis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAKLAM

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back