How can I rename an AddIn module file?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to change the name of the .xlam file of one of my Excel VBA AddIn modules. If I right-click the module in the VBA Project window, I can change the module name, but not the name of the file itself. I found the .xlam file in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns and renamed it. That caused it to disappear from the VBA Project window and none of the UDFs in that module worked. I renamed it back and all seems to be working.

Can someone show me how to rename the actual file and keep it active and keep all of the sheets that use it working?

Thanks

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Some additional information beforehand. An AddIn must be installed, making it active in the background. The way of installation of an AddIn depends on its design. This can be automatic (just by opening from within Excel or the Windows Explorer), but usually the designer of the AddIn leaves this to the user.

Renaming an AddIn's file name may affect its proper functioning, this depends on its design. Just try it and you'll probably find out soon enough.

Obviously, Excel keeps track of which AddIns are installed based on the AddIn's file name. Once an AddIn is installed, it automatically becomes active when Excel is opened. It's easy to discover which AddIns are installed, go to: Ribbon > Developer tab > Add-Ins. The AddIn of which its check box is ticked is installed.

To uninstall the to be renamed AddIn untick its check box and confirm by clicking OK button. Now open Add-Ins dialog again, click Browse button to open the appropriate AddIn folder and right click (or use F2 key) on the file name of the AddIn in question and rename it. Leave the Browse dialog clicking Cancel.

Now tick the AddIn's check box, after which Excel should respond with: "Cannot find add-in 'FileName.xlam'. Delete from list? (yes/no)"
Click yes, and click on Browse again. Now select the just renamed file and click OK button. Within Add-Ins dialog confirm by clicking OK button. Done!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
It's easy to discover which AddIns are installed, go to: Ribbon > Developer tab > Add-Ins. The AddIn of which its check box is ticked is installed.
When I select the Developer tab, the Add-ins section has 3 items.
1644711003129.png

I had to click on Excel Add-ins (middle one) to get the list you describe. The Add-ins list was empty.

To uninstall the to be renamed AddIn untick its check box and confirm by clicking OK button.
That worked and code that used to run now gets a #NAME? error.

Now open Add-Ins dialog again, click Browse button to open the appropriate AddIn folder and right click (or use F2 key) on the file name of the AddIn in question and rename it. Leave the Browse dialog clicking Cancel.
That seemed to work.

Now tick the AddIn's check box, after which Excel should respond with: "Cannot find add-in 'FileName.xlam'. Delete from list? (yes/no)" Click yes,
That seemed to work.

Click on Browse again. Now select the just renamed file and click OK button. Within Add-Ins dialog confirm by clicking OK button. Done!
That worked, but all of the calls to UDFs in that Addin were changed to include the complete path to the addin module. I had to edit each one

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0
You are welcome and thanks for the feedback (y)

I had to click on Excel Add-ins (middle one) to get the list you describe. The Add-ins list was empty.
That's due to version differences, you're on 365, I'm on 2013 ...

ScreenShot028.png

To uninstall the to be renamed AddIn untick its check box and confirm by clicking OK button
That worked and code that used to run now gets a #NAME? error.
That is a logical consequence if the AddIn provides for UDFs.

click on Browse again. Now select the just renamed file and click OK button. Within Add-Ins dialog confirm by clicking OK button. Done!
That worked, but all of the calls to UDFs in that Addin were changed to include the complete path to the addin module. I had to edit each one
As I said:
Renaming an AddIn's file name may affect its proper functioning

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back