How do I copy a record from one table to another?

NYcowgirl

I am using MS Access 2007. How do I copy a record from one table to another within the same database?

in that case you want one table for all employees, but add a column named Terminated
make it a yes/no field

just update that column when someone is terminated

or you could make it a number field and the number could tell you why they were terminated
number 0 means not terminated, #1 means terminated for showing up drunk, # 2 showed up late too many times, # 3 stole from the company

or it could be a date field and you could put the date of their termination, if the date is blank, then they haven't been terminated

but right now just go with a yes/no

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Carin

Sorry, I've not got time to give a full explanation of normalization - if I could in the first place.:)

I'm sure there's plenty information on the web, if you can't find any I'll pop back later with some links.

Basically though in your situation I would suggest you simply add a field that indicates whether the record is for a current or former employee.

That could be a simple Yes/No field or perhaps a field with the termination date, if there is one.

Either could then be used as criteria for queries for reports etc

Upvote 0
Carin

Why so you need to keep 2 separate tables?:unsure:

If you try either James or my suggestions there should be no need for that.

And it would be simple to split the data out into terminated/not-terminated records using simple select queries.

And if you really, really must have 2 tables our suggestions could also make that possible using simple make table queries.:)

Upvote 0
Carin

Give it a try.

Just goto the existing table, right click and select Design View.

Now at the bottom of the list add a new one, let's call it Terminated.

Set it's Data Type to Yes/No.

Now when you view the table you'll have a field where you can indicate if the record is for an employee has been terminated.

Note the field will probably show as a tickbox.

And you should try this on a copy of the original table before proceeding further.:)

As for a query just goto the Query window, select New Query, double click the * in the list of fields.

Then drag the Terminated field to the query grid and then close the field list box.

Now you can set the criteria as you want - Yes for terminated records, No for non-terminated records.

Note like James I don't have Access 2007, tried it but didn't like it, but these are the basic steps for this sort of thing.

And hopefully Microsoft hasn't changed things too much.:eek:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back