7Blackberry11111
8Strawberry2#VALUE!#VALUE!12
9Raspberry3#VALUE!#VALUE!13
10Mango11111
11Raspberry3#VALUE!#VALUE!21
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B11B2=COUNTIF([Text String], [@[Text String]])
C2:C11C2=IF(B2>1, RANK.EQ(A2, [Text String], 0) + RANDBETWEEN(0, B2-1), 1)
D2:D11D2=IF(B2>1, RANK.EQ(C2, [Column1], 0), 1)

In Column D I want to output random numbers based on entries in Column A.

If an entry in Column A is unique, only occurring once, then the corresponding row in Column D should return a '1'.

If an entry in Column A occurs more than once, as with 'Strawberry' (occurring 2 times), then in this example a random number of '1' or '2' should be returned in their corresponding rows.
Column E & F in the table gives two possible example outcomes that I would expect when the random numbers are regenerated. The COUNT of 'Strawberry' in Column A is 2, and therefore the random numbers in their rows of Column D should be a 1 or a 2. (Note: Both rows returning '2' or both returning '1' would be incorrect. They need to be unique.)

I have made attempts at a solution using Helper Columns in B and C, but it's not working.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
not random, but would be 1,2,3 based on count

=COUNTIF($A$2:A2,A2)

so it will be in order 1 then 2 then 3

Upvote 0
Thanks for your suggestion etaf, but I would like the random numbers to generate in no particular order. This sheet will be recalculated over and over again and so I would like it to throw up different random arrangements. Any further suggestions?

Upvote 0
This painful array formula should work for you in Excel 2016:

Book1
AB
1Text StringColumn3
2Apple1
3Banana1
4Strawberry2
5Orange1
6Raspberry3
7Blackberry1
8Strawberry1
9Raspberry1
10Mango1
11Raspberry2
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B11B2=SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(Table1[[#Headers],[Text String]]:OFFSET([@[Text String]],-1,0),[@[Text String]],Table1[[#Headers],[Column3]]:OFFSET([@Column3],-1,0),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF([Text String],[@[Text String]])))),"",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF([Text String],[@[Text String]])))),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTIF(OFFSET([@[Text String]],0,0,ROW(Table1[#Headers])+ROWS(Table1)-ROW([@Column3])+1),[@[Text String]])))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

This actually highlights some drawbacks to table nomenclature, there's no good way to reference "row before", "row after", "last row of table", "first row", etc. If you can just enter the actual ranges, the formula looks like:

Book1
AB
1Text StringColumn3
2Apple1
3Banana1
4Strawberry2
5Orange1
6Raspberry3
7Blackberry1
8Strawberry1
9Raspberry2
10Mango1
11Raspberry1
Sheet4
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B11B2=SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(A$1:A1,A2,B$1:B1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF(A$2:A$11,A2)))),"",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF(A$2:A$11,A2)))),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTIF(A2:A$11,A2)))
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
A somewhat shorter version of the table formula:

=SMALL(IF(COUNTIFS(Table1[[#Headers],[Text String]]:OFFSET([@[Text String]],-1,0),[@[Text String]],Table1[[#Headers],[Column3]]:OFFSET([@Column3],-1,0),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF([Text String],[@[Text String]])))),"",ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIF([Text String],[@[Text String]])))),RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTIF([@[Text String]]:INDEX([Text String],ROWS(Table1)),[@[Text String]])))

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help Eric, I've used the first Table formula you suggested and it works great. For some reason the 2nd Table formula suggested doesn't return the correct results.

I have realised that my Excel version is now 2019 and have updated this in my profile. Does this version allow for a simpler formula?

Upvote 0
It's odd that the second formula doesn't work right, but as long as you have a working version, that's ok. If you have Excel 2021 or 365, you could replace the ROW(INDIRECT( part with the SEQUENCE function, and you wouldn't need the Control+Shift+Enter. But those are minor changes actually. Just for fun, I came up with a spill version of the formula which would work in a newer version:

Book1
AB
1Text StringColumn3
2Apple1
3Banana1
4Strawberry1
5Orange1
6Raspberry3
7Blackberry1
8Strawberry2
9Raspberry1
10Mango1
11Raspberry2
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B11B2=LET(text,A2:A11,r,ROWS(text),sumi,SORTBY(COUNTIF(OFFSET(text,0,0,SEQUENCE(r)),text),text),SORTBY(SORTBY(sumi,SORT(text),1,RANDARRAY(r),1),SORTBY(ROW(text),text)))
Dynamic array formulas.

Spill formulas only need to be entered in 1 cell, and the results will automatically fill down the column to the other rows. This uses some newer functions, but spill formulas don't work in tables, so it wouldn't help you anyway. (And it's still not especially easy to understand.) So bottom line, a newer version of Excel wouldn't really help with this formula.

Anyway, glad we could help! :biggrin:

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for your help Eric. I really appreciate it. I will look into upgrading to Excel 2021 anyway as I am sure there are other functions that I am missing out on.

Upvote 0
Rumor has it that Excel 2024 is coming out soon. If you don't have a real urgency, and you don't like the subscription model of 365, you might want to hold off a bit.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back