how do I serially append numbers within a cel lwithout changing the contents of each cell

juleze

Please, I will like to know how to serially append numbers within a cell.

For example:
I'm trying to create codes to link to assets in a hotel. So, I go like this

RM101/BED/001
RM102/BED/002
RM103/BED/003
RM104/BED/004
RM105/BED/
RM106/BED/

Now, I could have dragged it down to number it serially, but that will change the Room numbers (RM 101, RM 102, RM103...).
So, I'll like to know the best way I can number the rooms serially without changing the room numbers.
Thanks a lot.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
When I drag down RM101/BED/001 the only thing that changes is 001, the RM101 remains unchanged.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response.
I tried that now but it changed the other rooms to "RM101".
I have typed in the other rooms but I want to ONLY append the numbers, at the end, serially.
Thus, only the numbers should change, and not the rooms.

Upvote 0
Do you have RM101/BED/001 in one cell?

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response.
I tried that now but it changed the other rooms to "RM101".
I have typed in the other rooms but I want to ONLY append the numbers, at the end, serially.
Thus, only the numbers should change, and not the rooms.
Maybe it is just me, but I am having trouble deciphering exactly what your question is. I sounds like you have a list of room numbers and you want to affix serial numbers to them, but it is not clear whether the serial numbers are on a per room basis or independent of the room numbers. Can you post a clear sample of your list of values in the cell and then a second list of what that first list should look like after the serial numbers are applied?

Upvote 0
Yes, I do.
I also have RM102/BED/
RM103/BED/
RM104/BED/

There are over 150 rooms and I've prepared the room numbers and asset in the cell. All that remains are the numbers.
For example:

RM102/BED/001
RM103/BED/002
RM104/BED/003

Upvote 0
Yes, I do.
I also have RM102/BED/
RM103/BED/
RM104/BED/

There are over 150 rooms and I've prepared the room numbers and asset in the cell. All that remains are the numbers.
For example:

RM102/BED/001
RM103/BED/002
RM104/BED/003
So you literally want to number the values 001 to 0150 no matter what room number is in the cell, correct?

If so, what cell is the first room number in?

Also, just to be clear, you do not want these serial numbers to physically be in the cell, just to be displayed in the cell, correct? If so, do your existing room number entries really end with a slash as shown above?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So you literally want to number the values 001 to 0150 no matter what room number is in the cell, correct?

Also, just to be clear, you do not want these serial numbers to physically be in the cell, just to be displayed in the cell, correct? If so, do your existing room number entries really end with a slash as shown above?

Thanks for your response, sir.

Correct!

I have had to manually input the asset codes (which can be inscribed on the assets) for thousands of assets, which took a long time. Now, I want to create asset codes for the additional assets. The range of cells of one of the assets I want to additionally input is cell I2262 to I2433.
SO, I've created something like:
LL/FF/RM101/BED/001
LL/FF/RM102/002

And then i want to complete the rest, serially. They have been written this way:
LL/FF/RM103/BED/
LL/FF/RM104/BED/
LL/FF/RM105/BED/

Upvote 0

Yes, I want the numbers to be displayed in the cells, enough to be printable, and still be visible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back