How do I specify # of characters in this array?

thardin

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Right now this code works perfectly to copy columns 1 and 5 from one workbook to another. However, I need to modify it so it only copies the left 8 digits of column 1(eliminating the last 2 digits) . like =LEFT(A2,8)

How would I fix this?
Thank You.

VBA Code:
    Dim Ary As Variant
    Dim Fname As String
    Dim lr As Long

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row

Fname = "529 A Shares Restricted Purchases violations TD " & Format(Date, "mmddyy")
   Fname2 = "529ACANCEL" & Format(Date, "mmddyy")
   With Workbooks(Fname & ".xlsx").Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange
      Ary = Application.Index(.Value, .Worksheet.Evaluate("row(2:" & .Rows.Count & ")"), Array(1, 5))
   End With
   Workbooks(Fname2 & ".csv").ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2).Value = Ary

ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireColumn.AutoFit
    ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireRow.AutoFit

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Try This
VBA Code:
Dim Ary As Variant
Dim Fname As String
Dim lr As Long

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

Fname = "529 A Shares Restricted Purchases violations TD " & Format(Date, "mmddyy")
Fname2 = "529ACANCEL" & Format(Date, "mmddyy")
    Ary = Application.Index(.Value, .Worksheet.Evaluate("row(2:" & .Rows.Count & ")"), Array(1, 5))
End With

'ADDED
For arrayItem = LBound(Ary) To UBound(Ary)
    Ary(arrayItem, 1) = Left(Ary(arrayItem, 1), 8)
    Ary(arrayItem, 2) = Left(Ary(arrayItem, 2), 8)
Next arrayItem
'END ADDITIONS

Workbooks(Fname2 & ".csv").ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2).Value = Ary
Sheet2.UsedRange.EntireColumn.AutoFit
Sheet2.UsedRange.EntireRow.AutoFit

Upvote 0
Right now this code works perfectly to copy columns 1 and 5 from one workbook to another.
In that case I think this slight modification should work for you (untested as I don't have your particular data, layout etc to test with)
It also may need a slight modification if you have a header in A1
From your description I also assumed the values in column A are all 10 digits to start with.
Try replacing the struck-through line with the blue code

Rich (BB code):

With Workbooks(Fname2 & ".csv").ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2)
  .Value = Ary
  .Columns(1).TextToColumns DataType:=xlFixedWidth, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(0, 9), Array(2, 2))
End With

Also, when posting vba code in the forum, please use the available code tags. My signature block below has more details. I have added them for you this time.

Upvote 0
Hello, I decided to test both of your codes and neither worked.
I kept getting an error saying "can't find project or library."
is it because you didn't Dim "arrayItem"?

I came up with this code to accomplish my task, but I'm not sure if it's good.
Is there a more effective way to write this?
Thanks.

Sub Test()
Dim Ary As Variant
Dim Fname As String, Fname2 As String
Dim lr As Long
Dim Cell As Range
Dim BValue As String

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row

Fname = "Book2"
Fname2 = "Book1"
End With
Workbooks(Fname2 & ".xlsx").ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2).Value = Ary

Workbooks(Fname2 & ".xlsx").Activate

Range("A1").EntireColumn.Insert
Range("A1") = Range("B1").Value

lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp).row

For Each Cell In Range("A1:A" & lr)
BValue = Cell.Offset(0, 1).Value
Cell.Formula = "=Left(" & BValue & ",8)"

Next Cell

Range("B1").EntireColumn.Delete

End Sub

Upvote 0
BTW, This is a picture of what I'm trying to do:

1638134781710.png

Upvote 0
How about:

VBA Code:
Sub TestV2()
'
    Dim Cell                As Range
    Dim FileExtention       As String
    Dim DestinationFileName As String, SourceFileName   As String
    Dim Ary                 As Variant
'
    DestinationFileName = "Book1"                                                                           ' <--- Set this to the DestinationFileName
    SourceFileName = "Book2"                                                                                ' <--- Set this to the SourceFileName
    FileExtention = ".xlsx"                                                                                 ' <--- Set this to the FileExtention of the files
'
    With Workbooks(SourceFileName & FileExtention).Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange                               ' With SourceFileName range ...
        Ary = Application.Index(.Value, .Worksheet.Evaluate("row(2:" & .Rows.Count & ")"), Array(1, 5))     '   Load columns A and E into 2D 1 based Ary. RC
    End With
'
    Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2).Value = Ary   ' Copy Ary to DestinationFileName columns A & B
'
    For Each Cell In Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        Cell.Formula = "=Left(" & Cell.Value & ", 8)"                                                       '   Copy formula down the column A of DestinationFile
        Cell.Value = Cell.Value                                                                             '   Remove the formulas from the column, leave values
    Next
'
    Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireColumn.AutoFit               ' Autofit columns in DestinationFileName data range
    Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireRow.AutoFit                  ' Autofit rows in DestinationFileName data range
End Sub

Upvote 0
How about:

VBA Code:
Sub TestV2()
'
    Dim Cell                As Range
    Dim FileExtention       As String
    Dim DestinationFileName As String, SourceFileName   As String
    Dim Ary                 As Variant
'
    DestinationFileName = "Book1"                                                                           ' <--- Set this to the DestinationFileName
    SourceFileName = "Book2"                                                                                ' <--- Set this to the SourceFileName
    FileExtention = ".xlsx"                                                                                 ' <--- Set this to the FileExtention of the files
'
    With Workbooks(SourceFileName & FileExtention).Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange                               ' With SourceFileName range ...
        Ary = Application.Index(.Value, .Worksheet.Evaluate("row(2:" & .Rows.Count & ")"), Array(1, 5))     '   Load columns A and E into 2D 1 based Ary. RC
    End With
'
    Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Resize(UBound(Ary), 2).Value = Ary   ' Copy Ary to DestinationFileName columns A & B
'
    For Each Cell In Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        Cell.Formula = "=Left(" & Cell.Value & ", 8)"                                                       '   Copy formula down the column A of DestinationFile
        Cell.Value = Cell.Value                                                                             '   Remove the formulas from the column, leave values
    Next
'
    Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireColumn.AutoFit               ' Autofit columns in DestinationFileName data range
    Workbooks(DestinationFileName & FileExtention).ActiveSheet.UsedRange.EntireRow.AutoFit                  ' Autofit rows in DestinationFileName data range
End Sub
I made a few tweaks, but it works great! thanks :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeVol

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back