How do I use DAX or Sets/MDX to create the equivalent of a calculated item

BruceP

I have large tables of sales data with products that are split into various groups.

Some managers like sales split into individual groups, for example with the rows showing sales for:

Flips
Flops
Blips
Blobs

Some managers like the rows combined:

Flips & Flops
Blips & Blobs

Prior to PowerPivot, I just created Calculated Items to achieve this (simply =Flips+Flops and =Blips+Blobs)

I have searched high & low to find a solution and have drawn a blank so far. How do I achieve this with PowerPivot?

Is it done with DAX or should it be done by creating a custom set (with some MDX expressions)?

Either way, I would appeciate some hand-holding through this. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Hi Bruce, Have you found maybe a solution to your problem? I'm trying to do similar thing now, but with no luck...

Upvote 0
Hi Guenh,

I have found a solution but it didn't involve using DAX.

Taking the categories I used as an example above, I created a new table with four entries in it. In the first column would be Flips, Flops, Blips and finally Blobs on seperate rows. In the second column I put "Flips & Flops" against both Flips and Flops and "Blips & Blobs" against Blips and Blobs.

I then added this table to PowerPivot and then you can drag the "Flips & Flops" and "Blips & Blogs" fields into a PowerPivot table and PowerPivot crunchs the number for you.

Though perhaps not the neatest solution I've used it a number of times when this 'problem' arises. There may well be a DAX solution but I've not found it yet. If you do, please let me know.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kokoanutt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back