How do you find and delete invisible formatting/code in Excel 2007?

amr4434

I have three columns of data (I have renamed them for simplicity):

Category A
A1 = Trial 1
B1 = Trial 2
C1 = 'Best of' Trials 1 & 2

I used the 'If' formula to calculate the 'best of' column.
(ex. Statement A1>B1, if true C1=A1; if false C1=B1)

There are approximately 6,000 rows of data. I copied and pasted the 'IF' formula to all rows in C1. I just realized that a large majority of the cells copied correctly, however some are blank.

The data was imported from .txt files which were exported out of another program. I fear that there is some sort of invisible formatting or coding which may be preventing the formula from copying correctly. Is there a way to find and delete it?

I have tried 'clear all', 'clear formats' and 'delete' in the blank cells. It did not fix the problem.

The data I am analyzing is protected by FERPA. The actual data is more complicated and there are about 7 different categories (each with 3 respective columns as seen above) that are experiencing the same issue. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
I left out one important part of my previous post. There are some cases where B1 is intentionally blank (where trial 2 did not occur). It is some of those blank cells that are causing the problem.

I think I may have figured this out (4 hours later-arrg!). After much investigating, I discovered that the offending cells have spaces. Mind you - they LOOK blank. The number of spaces vary depending on the expected value (3 digits = 3 spaces). Ironically some of the blank cells are perfectly fine (no spaces). In those instances the 'If" formula worked.

I have used conditional formatting to locate the spaces. Not sure how to remedy the issue large scale, but at least I can SEE where the problems are.

I still welcome feedback and suggestions. Just thought I would update in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murarj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back