How is calculation made without seeing the formula

eawad

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am not sure how this is done, im sure its simple but I cannot figure it out.. =nper is used in a cell or references to nper or @nper in formulas but no actually syntax for the nper function visible yet it still returns a value. can anyone point me in the right direction as to how this is done. This is used in a loan amortisation sheet. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
you could go to the formula tab>>formula auditing>>trace precedents....to see where the connections to the Nper lie
OR
check to make sure it isn't run via a macro
But there MUST be a a set of variable attached to the NPER or it simply won't work

Upvote 0
another thing to look at is.....if the sheet is protected, the formulas are probably hidden !

Upvote 0
Thank you for the pointers.. I did check previously and the sheet is not protected. I was also not able to use trace precedents as its greyed out and cannot be used in this instance. I have a screen shot of how the formula looks like and I also dont think its run through a macro. very puzzling..

Attachments

• image 1.JPG
    image 1.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image 2.JPG
    image 2.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image 3.JPG
    image 3.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 14
Upvote 0
Can you post the entire formula ....NOT a screenshot please

Upvote 0
Just a random thought here but if you hit ctrl+F3 calling up the name manager, is in the list of range names ?

Upvote 0
Thanks Alex, that is exactly where I found it, it was a saved name that held the formula. I really appreciate all your help with this puzzle.

Upvote 0
@Alex Blakenburg
I would have thought a formula used as a named range would be an illegal operation in Excel ??
AND
I wouldn't have used it as such anyway......that's asking for trouble...:cool:

Upvote 0
@Michael M
The @ without [] is one of the things that made me think of it.
If the OP did not have 365 I would have thought that it might have been just a range not a formula but in 365 "=nper" should have spilled or tried to.
It would have been handy to see the actual range name screen / formula.
I do think using a range name that is the same name as in existing function is a particularly bad idea.

I have seen it done once before.
Jeff Lenning Excel University in his Senior's course reduced this,
=IFERROR(CHOOSE(VLOOKUP($I11,bud_methods,2,0),$H11/4,D11,(D11/'Exercise 2 Headcount Calcs'!C$37)*'Exercise 2 Headcount Calcs'!G$37,D11*(1-dec_rate),VLOOKUP($B11,bud_manual,MATCH(J$10,INDEX(bud_manual,1,0),0),0),0),0)

Down to this:
=@CHOOSE(@Method,Spread_PY,Match_PY,Headcount,Decrease,Manual,Zero)

Using the range names which include the following:
NameRefers to
Headcount=('Exercise 5 Calcs to Range Names'!XEY1/'Exercise 2 Headcount Calcs'!XEX$37)*'Exercise 2 Headcount Calcs'!XFB$37
Manual=VLOOKUP('Exercise 5 Calcs to Range Names'!$B1,bud_manual,MATCH('Exercise 5 Calcs to Range Names'!A$19,INDEX(bud_manual,1,0),0),0)
Method=VLOOKUP('Exercise 5 Calcs to Range Names'!$I1,bud_methods,2,0)

Not something I can really see myself using but is it really any different to using the new Lambda function.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back