how to add "optional" parameters to SUMPRODUCT?

ybolotin

I have something like this, which gives me the count of all the cells that match whatever's specified in J3:L3
=SUMPRODUCT((B:B=J3)*(C:C=K3)*(D:D=L3))

(the real formula has quite a bit more values/columns in it, this was a proof-of-concept sample)

however, I would really like to be able to optionally exclude one (or more) of these parameters, preferably without changing the formula

replacing the look-for value with * or ? doesn't work (it's looking for the literal "*", not any string)
while it's theoretically possible to implement the negative-lookup list (e.g. <>"", <>"1", etc) some of the fields have multiple possible text values, where I want to count either one specific one, or all-rows-including-missing (i.e. ignore this column for comparison purposes)

how can I do this, if at all?

so what I want is a simple way to change the lookup from "count all the rows where these 15 values perfectly match the desired output" to "count all the rows where X of the values perfectly match the X I want, regardless of what's in the rest", where X is between 2 and 15 inclusive.

doing this without having to add formula rows to every value would also be awesome

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
some too-late text fixes:
counts all the *rows* that match the required pattern

"without changing the formula" = without changing it each time I want to make a change. I want to make this as seamless for an end-user as possible (so selecting "ALL" from a dropdown would stop filtering by that column, that sort of thing).

VBA/macros is out of the question too, since some of the users will not even have permissions to enable macros.

Upvote 0
stole this from barry houdini in http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/830425-stuck-simple-problem-sumif-sumproduct.html

looks like I can do this with COUNTIFS instead (for the CONDITION parameter, put in "<>INVALIDVALUE" to count everything, "<>" to count non-missing, or a specific value to count that value)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peter Juhnke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back