How to avoid sheet and cell #REF error when a worksheet with data is deleted

rdoulaghsingh

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm using the formula below to fill in a cell with customer name from two separate sheets in a workbook. If the customer name is entered on one of the sheets, then the cell with the formula fills in the customer name and the other sheet without a customer is deleted. The function below does everything I want, but the problem is when one of the sheets is deleted, I get a #Ref error. Is there any way to avoid this in the formula below?

=IFERROR(IF('Introduction 800-171'!B15<>"<Customer Name>",'Introduction 800-171'!B15,IF('Introduction CMMC'!B15<>"<Customer Name>",'Introduction CMMC'!B15,"")),INDIRECT('Introduction 800-171'!B15))

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
The syntax is

=IFERROR (value, value_if_error)

In your formula above, the value_if_error is set as INDIRECT('Introduction 800-171'!B15) if I'm not mistaken. I believe when you delete, this reference is gone thus showed error. So you need to change your formula to show "" (blank as example)

Upvote 0
The syntax is

=IFERROR (value, value_if_error)

In your formula above, the value_if_error is set as INDIRECT('Introduction 800-171'!B15) if I'm not mistaken. I believe when you delete, this reference is gone thus showed error. So you need to change your formula to show "" (blank as example)
Thank you for replying. I tried that and it still gives the ref error.

Upvote 0
Hi,

My solution given in your previous thread works if the 2 cells in question are on the Same sheet And Next to each other, as you described.
That formula as it is, will Not work if the 2 cells are in Different sheets.

Try this, change the Sheet names and Cell references accordingly:

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(Sheet775!D1<>"<Customer Name>",Sheet775!D1,IF(A1<>"<Customer Name>",A1,"")),IF(A1<>"<Customer Name>",A1,IF(Sheet775!D1<>"<Customer Name>",Sheet775!D1,"")))

Upvote 0
Hi,

My solution given in your previous thread works if the 2 cells in question are on the Same sheet And Next to each other, as you described.

Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(IF(Sheet775!D1<>"<Customer Name>",Sheet775!D1,IF(A1<>"<Customer Name>",A1,"")),IF(A1<>"<Customer Name>",A1,IF(Sheet775!D1<>"<Customer Name>",Sheet775!D1,"")))
Interesting! This is what I've come up with based on your formula, but it's still giving me an error that there's a problem with the formula.

=IFERROR(IF('Introduction 800-171'!B15<>"<Customer Name>",'Introduction 800-171'!B15 & "_SafeAttachments",IF('Introduction CMMC'!B15<>"<Customer Name>",'Introduction CMMC'!B15 & "_SafeAttachments","")),IF('Introduction CMMC'!B15 <>"<Customer Name>",'Introduction CMMC'!B15,IF(Introduction 800-171'!B15<>"<Customer Name>",Introduction 800-171'!B15,"")))

Upvote 0
Hi,

Excel Formula:
Actually...I found a workaround. Thank you for your help once again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back