How to become a pro in Excel ?

jackdan

Hi everyone,

I am new to this site...I need your kind advice....I have a little basic working experience in MS Excel like data sorting, Freeze windows, basic calculations,etc...

I want to become an expert in MS Excel...Can you please tell me is there a good career in MS Excel ? Is there any scope for growth as an MIS executive ? Is there any online course, book or CD which teaches Excel related MIS tasks ?

Currently I am not in a stable job..so was thinking about becoming expert in MS Excel to secure a long term career...

Guys please help a beginner in Excel like me ..

Thanks,
JD:confused:

I work in a bank in the "VBA team" for this location. Only 3/4 of us, servicing the location, maintaining/upgrading...etc around 400 "User Defined Tools."

There's one pure dev in the team, he doesn't really understand the finance side of things and prefers just developing. The rest of us are a business/dev mix (Have had a knowledge of excel/access...etc in the past, but also understand the business side), and are using this team as a stepping stone into a BA (or another more analytical) role, since they want us to have some technical knowledge.

Me, I had had about a year's experience in an IT firm generating reports/dashboards and the ilk in Excel, the rest I just learnt by mucking about at home to find different solutions, and now I've just finished a year in this team and I'd say my knowledge of VBA has gone from very basic to intermediate (we don't need anything more advanced than loops/finds...etc)

I've known a few contractors that make a handsome career out of VBA, but none from Excel (that's all the permanent staff) :)

We've just (January) upgraded to 2007, should be upgrading to Win7 later this year when we move to VDI.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
If you are still looking for books on learning Excel, I would highly recommend "Slaying Excel Dragons" by Mike Girvin. The book in printed form, Kindle ebook, or DVD and all are available on this website under the bookstore tab. The book is rated for beginners to immediate users of Excel.

Even though the book is for Excel 2010, I would say that 99% of it can be applied to earlier versions of Excel. The author takes the time to show you what you need to do if you are using Excel 2007 and etc.

Mike Girvin also has a YouTube channel called "ExcelIsFun" with over 1400 videos. Mike also does podcast with MrExcel on Fridays.

Good luck to you!!!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site...I need your kind advice....I have a little basic working experience in MS Excel like data sorting, Freeze windows, basic calculations,etc...

I want to become an expert in MS Excel...Can you please tell me is there a good career in MS Excel ? Is there any scope for growth as an MIS executive ? Is there any online course, book or CD which teaches Excel related MIS tasks ?

Currently I am not in a stable job..so was thinking about becoming expert in MS Excel to secure a long term career...

Guys please help a beginner in Excel like me ..

Thanks,
JD:confused:
Hi,

Well nice to hear that you wanna be Expert in MS-Excel.
I suggest you few thing which may help you a lot.

1) Read out all short keys. You should be perfect in Excel without using Mouse. It seems to others How much Perfect You are.

2) Do practice with all Functions with an example which has been provided in Excel-Help Its more than enough.

3) And Being a MIS Executive, It's not so easy to get job by knowing only Excel. Most of the corporate offices are giving more preference to them who has know Advance Excel , VBA and Oracle. So It's better to have knowledge over on VBA and Oracle so that you can easily get the Job.

Mean while If you done SAP BI/BW. You will get good Job.

Upvote 0
To be extremely capable with Excel you will have to sacrifice time. Time that could give you greater capabilities in other areas. I run a small company, Heather and I, and do most of the programming ourselves. This is the worst waste of time. My skill is developing new product, new ways to get our information to the market. I have been working with Excel for the last week. When I could've contacted hundreds of customers. But my problem is trying to find someone to work with on the Internet that has the overall skills I need. I have found people to work with Flash from as far as Spain to China. The problem is finding somebody that comes close to fitting your needs. Let me put that as simple as I can. And you will note a range of products and also the percentage of importance. Of course this is just the need for a small company deals with data processing, publishing and marketing.

Percentage is Skill Level

75% Flash & Script - Programmable Skill - WebSite Data Control
75% Act! (Sage) - Better than a Working Knowledge
75% Java - Programmable skill
70% Excel - Programmable skill
75% Access - Programmable skill
65% Dreamweaver - Skilled - WebSite Data Control
65% Ventura (Corel) - Programmable skill
40% Photoshop - Better than a Working Knowledge
40% MapInfo or XMap DeLorme - Better than a Working Knowledge
35% Adobe Premium - Better than a Working Knowledge
35% Sound Forge or 45%. In an equivalent found program
20% Dragon - Working Knowledge
20% Fireworks - Working Knowledge
50% Systems Window 2007 - Better than a Working Knowledge

We process all the building permits in the state of Wisconsin. We also specialize in extremely targeted prospect marketing since 1989. We are now getting ready to take it to the next level. This requires a skilled website that deals with data security and mapping. We are looking for people that are familiar with the products that we have used in the past. Anyone that we hire has to be able to program in such a way that we have half a chance to understand.

So as you can see one program is very far from the answer. Nor can the employer expect to fill all his needs with one person. So an employer has to be willing to work with somebody that comes close to filling his needs. The overall skill level of of some of his needs might be sacrificed if the job recipient has a greater overall knowledge. But by no means locked into one particular product

A greater overall knowledge can go a long way. If I had to put a label on my needs. I would say the following:
Processing Data -Security (Website Data) - Website Design - Contact Manager (Act!) - Marketing Skills - Publishing Skills (In House) - Photo Design - Video Processing - Sound Recording

So one program is far from the answer.

Bob

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back