How to change a cell font red if any previous cell is red (thru conditional formatting)

kattento

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Completely green Excel user.
I am trying to get column Z date to conditional format to red, if any previous dates in columns I through X are red. Those change to red based on conditional formatting. I am only needing column Z to change if the larger bolded date is red, not the smaller date (even if it's red).
Help!

working copy.xlsx
ABDEGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACAD
3Scheduled Dig DateHomeownerLotSales RepPlan / ElevationCntr DateDesign CompletedLenderLoan Request SentDrafting CompletedEngineered / StampedSubmit to CityPermit Picked UpLoan FundedScheduled Dig DateActual Dig DateProject ManagerCris/ Sara
410/15QMIWM 53Hemingway - C8/128/19Alta8/239/29/99/1410/1210/1410/1510/19BrandonSara
57/278/59/138/309/159/1510/12
NON CONTINGENT
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A4A4=Z4
I4,P4I4=K4-7
K4K4=P4-14
N4N4=Z4-53
R4R4=T4-5
T4T4=V4-28
V4V4=Z4-3
X4X4=Z4-1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
V4Expression=AND((V5=""),(V4<TODAY()))textNO
I4,K4,N4,P4,R4,T4,X4Expression=AND((I5=""),(I4<TODAY()))textNO
I5,K5,N5,P5,R5,T5,V5,X5Expression=I5>I4textNO

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi Kattento,

Conditional Formatting can't check the colour of a cell so you can just OR the three previous checks into a new check:
Excel Formula:
=OR(AND((V5=""),(V4<TODAY())),(AND((I5=""),(I4<TODAY()))),(I5>I4))

Upvote 0
Hi Kattento,

Conditional Formatting can't check the colour of a cell so you can just OR the three previous checks into a new check:
Excel Formula:
=OR(AND((V5=""),(V4<TODAY())),(AND((I5=""),(I4<TODAY()))),(I5>I4))
Ok... I tried the formula, I see what it's doing. The true/false will not work for what I need however. How can I change that? It would need to say "OK" if any previous cell is NOT red, and "ISSUE" if there are no previous red cells.

Upvote 0
"It would need to say "OK" if any previous cell is NOT red, and "ISSUE" if there are no previous red cells."
I'm not following as your example column Z contains a date, not "OK" or "ISSUE".

As I previously said, Conditional Formatting cannot check the colour of a cell and neither can a Function; only VBA can do that. What Conditional Formatting can do is use the same rules as your existing CF. I think I see the issue now as the AND((I5=""),(I4<TODAY())) is applied to several columns so it would need to check each. Sadly the columns are not consistent (some 1 column apart, others 2) so it's a lengthy formula. Does this do what you want in the CF for Z4?

Excel Formula:
=OR(AND((V5=""),(V4<TODAY())),(AND((I5=""),(I4<TODAY()))),(AND((K5=""),(K4<TODAY()))),(AND((N5=""),(N4<TODAY()))),(AND((P5=""),(P4<TODAY()))),(AND((R5=""),(R4<TODAY()))),(AND((T5=""),(T4<TODAY()))),(AND((X5=""),(X4<TODAY()))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back