How to check if a row exists in a different table?

Bimas

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and I come with a question.

I am working with 2 sprea sheets which contain a list with collumns: program, Implementation notes, version, and description.

One of the list is more recent, and thus, the older version is missing some of the rows in the newer one.

I am trying to come up with a formula to check, based on Program, Implementation notes, and version (since description is now different), which rows are in the older spreadsheet, and which rows are missing.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
As you have probably discovered VLOOKUP() will only work on a single field. One option would be to concatenate the data into a single field and use VLOOKUP but you would need to do this in both workbooks. Alternatively you could use the COUNTIF() function which is more elegant but more difficult to understand and debug. I would suggest using the VLOOKUP() to identify the rows and then replace it with the COUNTIF() logic and confirm that they return the same results, then remove the VLOOKUP(). You could do the same with VBA code and filter the rows in the source sheet and see how many rows remain with the filters; zero rows means that the data is missing.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tanne

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back