How to Collect Real Time Data Automatically (every few seconds) and save in excel column

KenTClark

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey Everyone,

First off, great discussion and help you guys provide here, cheers to all!!!

I already tried searching for something similar to what I want to do with stock index real time quotes in the forum but unfortunately couldn't find. Its a pretty simple concept I think:

Now that excel has built in real time data for stocks from their cloud business, excel can retrieve updated stock or index prices in a specified cell, every time you hit refresh.

How can I automatically ask excel to record the time and price, daily high, daily low in the rows below, at every second or minute interval ? By 4 pm I would have a dataset for the entire day collected in the same worksheet? (Please see example picture)

Right now I'm just recording the values manually whenever i have time, which is not ideal :) . If this can be automatically recorded in excel in the background that would be great!!! I think the data refresh rate can be changed, instead of having to press the update button, I'm also looking in to that.

I already tried copying a similar program from an (old thread~2010?) into my excel VBA and after enabling macros, excel crashes and i can't even open the test file. So that's why I'm reposting.

"Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
capturerow = 2

currow = Range("A65536").End(xlUp).Row

Cells(currow + 1, 1) = Cells(capturerow, 1)
Cells(currow + 1, 2) = Cells(capturerow, 2)
Cells(currow + 1, 3) = Cells(capturerow, 3)
End Sub"

Thank you for your assistance!!
Best Regards,
KC

Attachments

• RealTimeCollect.png
    RealTimeCollect.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 237
is the problem from where I inserted the code? I just right clicked the worksheet to view code and typed the code under (General). Should i insert as procedure, userform, module or class module? would that make any difference? i'm not that proficient in VBA unfortunately. :(

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
After you open the Visual Basic Editor follow these steps:

Right-click on your workbook name in the "Project-VBAProject" pane (at the top left corner of the editor window) and select Insert -> Module from the context menu. Copy the VBA code (from a web-page etc.) and paste it to the right pane of the VBA editor ("Module1" window)

Upvote 0
Yes !! that was the issue. After inserting the code in the module, it now collects automatically per the defined interval :love:. Great help you provided igold, thanks a lot, have a great day!!

Best Regards,
KC

Upvote 0
You're welcome, I was happy to help. Thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back