How to combine 2 columns from different tables to fill in the blanks

locka

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
A change was made to the way our phones process calls. This has effected how calls travels. This change has changed how we know why the customer called. We use to get this from the [name] column in [queue info] table. As this was queue name and told us what they called for. Our system now has much less queues, but records the reason for calling in a different field with in [call details] table.

I need to work how best to merge two fields together so that data from [Queue Info] table column [name]. Is merged with the [Call details] table column [queue name] to fill in blank rows, that prior to change where never populated. I don't want the data append to bottom, but rather merged so that there are no blanks. Below is a very simple diagram of what we have there are more columns in the tables. However these are the ones that are linked and need to be manipulated.

I need to fill in all blank rows from [Call details] table. That have a blank [queue name]. With correct name from [Queue info] table column [name]. [Queue info] table has one entry for each queue. [Queue details] has many records regarding call that made contact to queue. With the [call details] table has info about each call. Purpose is to filter based on which queue call came from.

1636708635736.png

I don't have file i can actually supply. Fairly new to Power bi and trying to understand how nest I can do this.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Is there anyone who can help with this issue Please?

Upvote 0
Without some data, the best I can offer is that you join your files in Power Query on the Primary Keys and Foreign Keys. You will have two joins to get all three tables into one query. If you wish to create three dummy files of 6-8 records and upload that data using XL2BB then I am sure we can supply you with specific Mcode to make this happen.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back