how to correct wrong numbers ?

pooja2010

Hi,

I have numbers in my excel column showing as follows:

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
I know they are not correct and shows a 1000 separator instead of being a double digit number "27,45" with 2 decimals. I am not able to change that somehow.. Can anyone help me know how to correct them. So the correct numbers instead of the above should be as follows (2 digit main number, and 2 digit decimals)

Thanks in advance..

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Right- click on the data.
Choose 'format cells'.
In the pop-up dialog box that comes up, click on number tab -> choose 'Number' under category
Make sure 'Decimal places' is set to 2 on the right side.
Click OK.

Upvote 0
I have already tried that.. But I don't know for what reason it is not working. Instead it gives me

<colgroup><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Do you have any other idea ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What are the Decimal Separator and Thousands Separator settings in your version of Excel?
If you look under File > Options > Advanced you should see "Use System Separators" checkbox ticked and under that it will tell you the current setting for Decimal and Thousands.

Looks to be that excel is using "." as the decimal separator and you want it to be ",".

Upvote 0
I just checked that.. Excel is using "," as decimal separator and "." as thousands separator.. Its correct what i want.. But still i don't know y i don't get the right numbers.

Upvote 0
Hi,

It could be a windows setting over-riding it............

Try

Control Panel --> Regional Settings -->Regional Options --> Customise

Upvote 0
When you look at a cell, is the data right justified or left justified? Also, is the data being imported from another source?

Upvote 0
I just checked that.. Excel is using "," as decimal separator and "." as thousands separator.. Its correct what i want.. But still i don't know y i don't get the right numbers.

Did you mean "." as decimal separator and "," as thousand separator?

Upvote 0
@Jayanthiv.. no, i meant the other way round.. This has to do with regional settings, where in the opposite is used in the netherlands where i am right now. so the decimal is "," and thousand separator is "."

@sallinspark.. the data is displayed on the right. The data is from a different source.. but i guess it is from a different version of excel. i am not sure.

@Chris, the regional setting there is mentioned netherlands.. is there anything i can customize there ?

Upvote 0
@Jayanthiv.. no, i meant the other way round.. This has to do with regional settings, where in the opposite is used in the netherlands where i am right now. so the decimal is "," and thousand separator is "."

@sallinspark.. the data is displayed on the right. The data is from a different source.. but i guess it is from a different version of excel. i am not sure.

@Chris, the regional setting there is mentioned netherlands.. is there anything i can customize there ?

Use 'Text to Columns' in the Data tab to reset the cell format to 'General'. ( You may have to deselect the "System Separator" in the Files->Options-> Advanced). You should then be able to chnage it to the format you need ( i.e 2 digits with 2 decimals).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lee_ray

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back