How to COUNTIF a name in specific range ?

Schturman

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi to all
How I can COUNTIF for a range of cells that related to a specific day? For example the green range is a range related to a Friday and I need COUNT a name "אוקסנה" in this range.
The total range from A3 to J126, formula need to detect every Friday and count a specific name in this ranges (in this case range of Friday is B7:J10) like:
Code:
=COUNTIF(RANGE OF EVREY FRIDAY,"אוקסנה")
1665420946210.png

Thanks

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
u mean u have two criteria??? if so use Countifs instead of countif

Upvote 0
u mean u have two criteria??? if so use Countifs instead of countif

It's not two criteria's, only one criteria = name, but I need to find a way how to detect a range of every Friday in the month and after this I can use this range in a COUNT formula.

Upvote 0
Could you upload a sample excel file?

Sorry, I'm not allowed to upload files here (only pictures) and something named mini-sheet (didn't tried it yet).
You can see the formula that I use now to count the name "Nati" in the Friday ranges (purple colored range):
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($B$23:$J$26,L$3)+COUNTIF($B$51:$J$54,L$3)+COUNTIF($B$79:$J$82,L$3)+COUNTIF($B$107:$J$110,L$3)
Like you see I use here 4 ranges, all of them is Friday in this month and it working perfectly.
My question was if somehow I can detect the ranges of Fridays automatically and change my formula that will count a name from every Friday in a month.
Because every year the range of Friday changed and I need to edit my formula manually....
Thanks
1666014453522.png

Upvote 0
Sorry, I'm not allowed to upload files here (only pictures) and something named mini-sheet (didn't tried it yet).
You can see the formula that I use now to count the name "Nati" in the Friday ranges (purple colored range):
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($B$23:$J$26,L$3)+COUNTIF($B$51:$J$54,L$3)+COUNTIF($B$79:$J$82,L$3)+COUNTIF($B$107:$J$110,L$3)
Like you see I use here 4 ranges, all of them is Friday in this month and it working perfectly.
My question was if somehow I can detect the ranges of Fridays automatically and change my formula that will count a name from every Friday in a month.
Because every year the range of Friday changed and I need to edit my formula manually....
Thanks
View attachment 76383
The reason I asked for a sample file, is because I see column A filled with what seems to be dates in the format DD/MM but with some text which I can't read next to it, also, I wanted to know where do you get the year from, since it doesn't appear anywhere in this picture, and when do you change the year, is it in another Sheet?, or is it all the way down in the same workbook, or it's maybe that all the info repeats in other columns in the same Sheet. Maybe you can translate the text being shown, so that we can better help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reason I asked for a sample file, is because I see column A filled with what seems to be dates in the format DD/MM but with some text which I can't read next to it, also, I wanted to know where do you get the year from, since it doesn't appear anywhere in this picture, and when do you change the year, is it in another Sheet?, or is it all the way down in the same workbook, or it's maybe that all the info repeats in other columns in the same Sheet. Maybe you can translate the text being shown, so that we can better help.
Ok, sorry, I not explained this stuff...
1. In the A3 the date written like: 01/01/2023 and used custom format to show me the specific day and date (it's Hebrew): dddd dd/mm
That mean A3 show me: Sunday 01/01, A7 show me: Monday 02/01 etc...

2. For the next year I use the copy of the same file, just clean the inputs and change the year from 2022 to 2023 by Replace option for whole of Workbook. Range of Fridays changed too and I need edit my formula and change the ranges for Fridays on every sheet (1 sheet = 1 month).
Hope now I explained better :)

Upvote 0
Wha
Ok, sorry, I not explained this stuff...
1. In the A3 the date written like: 01/01/2023 and used custom format to show me the specific day and date (it's Hebrew): dddd dd/mm
That mean A3 show me: Sunday 01/01, A7 show me: Monday 02/01 etc...

2. For the next year I use the copy of the same file, just clean the inputs and change the year from 2022 to 2023 by Replace option for whole of Workbook. Range of Fridays changed too and I need edit my formula and change the ranges for Fridays on every sheet (1 sheet = 1 month).
Hope now I explained better :)
What's in columns K, also L and M?, there are a bunch of zeroes.
Can an empty column at the end be used as a helper column?, let's say for example, column P?

Upvote 0
Since cells A3, A4, A5, and A6 are merged, one more helper column will be used to detect if that row is a friday.

Then formulas will be:

in P3:
Excel Formula:
=IF(A3="",P2,IF(WEEKDAY(A3,1)=6,1,0))
Copy down as needed.

in Q1:
Excel Formula:
"Nati"

in Q3:
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF(B3:O3,$Q$1)
Copy down as needed.

Then, the formula to get the total number of cells in friday rows with "Nati" is:
(supposing the last row in the sum is row 120)

Excel Formula:
=SUMPRODUCT(P3:P120,Q3:Q120)

Upvote 0
Ok, I uploaded my file to dropbox.
In a K column different criteria's for the same name, don't pay attention for this...
L3 and M3 is combined for name, in our case Nati. Like you can see in my formula L$3
Excel Formula:
=COUNTIF($B$23:$J$26,L$3)
N3 and O3 is combined for next name.
Each name have 2 columns (one for quantities and another one for hours)
Formula that I need for count name Nati (L3) in all Fridays should be in the cell L33 (L33 and M33 combined) and I need drag it left for another names... I named it "TOTAL in Friday:" (Blue color)
See my file, I changed names to English.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back