How to create 2 Drop Down List, One dependant on the other

danielsig

I am trying to create a cooking receipt where I have 2 columns with 2 drop down lists. Based on the “Main List” column, the “Sub List” (or second) column will change. I am able to create one long list, but this is not desirable.
The “Main List” (vegetables, fruits, carbs, proteins, etc.) will allow me to sort my second column, the “Sub-List”, into the actual product (bananas, apples, grapes, etc.) displaying the product options I have on hand.
I have downloaded data into Excel from Access (which I created) so the data in excel I am using is showing up as a Table.
Does any on have a suggestion on how to separate the data in order to create the second list? Should I first separate the data in Access, if so how? Or is there a way I can edit the data in Excel?
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hi there. I'm not sure what you mean by separating the data so they will appear in the 2nd list. Do you already have the data structured in a logical way such that the main list selection will automatically have a resulting sub-list? In any case, Contextures has a good tutorial on how to create dependent lists. Here's the link:

http://www.contextures.com/xldataval02.html

Upvote 0
Hi there. I'm not sure what you mean by separating the data so they will appear in the 2nd list. Do you already have the data structured in a logical way such that the main list selection will automatically have a resulting sub-list? In any case, Contextures has a good tutorial on how to create dependent lists. Here's the link:

http://www.contextures.com/xldataval02.html

Thank you! This is helpful as I am not familiuar with creating the Dependent Data Validation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back