How to create a Row number in Power Pivot

nikkollai

Hello,

This was supposed to be a very simple task but i have exhausted all i knew in PowerPivot and that's way decided to reach out to the pros.
If you take a look at the file attached you will see that in order to achieve a asymmetric data transfer from input table into pivot table most like we will need to create row numbers in PowerPivot. However, doing this in PowerPivot is not so easy.

I will appreciate any ideas.

File can be downloaded here: http://1drv.ms/1DFbzU0

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=00E81EAEA2895AD5&resid=e81eaea2895ad5%21578&authkey=AP4wUPX4Xm5RjlY

Last edited:
So, RANKX would be what you want, but ... it has to RANK... something. Like, revenue or... RAND(). But there is no way to RANK by "the order the data came in".

Other than resorting to writing some VBA script to export the table and add a column of numbers that you then import into Power Pivot... I got nothing.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
So, RANKX would be what you want, but ... it has to RANK... something. Like, revenue or... RAND(). But there is no way to RANK by "the order the data came in".

Other than resorting to writing some VBA script to export the table and add a column of numbers that you then import into Power Pivot... I got nothing.

What about TOPN () You think it can be used?

Upvote 0
Not in any way I can think of. How are rows ordered in the input table? totally arbitrary?

How about a hidden SHEET, that references the main table... and adds the row #?

Upvote 0
Not in any way I can think of. How are rows ordered in the input table? totally arbitrary?

How about a hidden SHEET, that references the main table... and adds the row #?

That sounds like a good idea.
Sorry to ask so many questions. How would i exactly do that. Any chance you could help me with the way how to exactly bring that row# into the main table?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amriddin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back