How to create custom expense worksheet with daily subtotal WITHOUT visual basic

kmanbob

Dear Excel experts,

Is it possible to do this WITHOUT Visual Basic or programming or even without a table, because I want it to be as simple as possible, but I might settle for having a table

column A is for date, column B is for daily subtotal (I want it to appear next to the date), column C is for individual amounts of expenses, column D is just a description of the expense

example :

A1 = 12/25/2013
B1 = (I want the Subtotal (or sum of the entire day's expenses to automatically appear here next to the date, after a new date, (12/26/2013) has been entered in column A)) in this case, it would sum C1:C3 which is $6... or up until the next date that is inputed in column A)
C1 = $1
D1 = cake
C2 = $2
D2 = juice
C3 = $3
D3 = milk
A4 = 12/26/2013
B4 = (again, same thing as B1)
etc.

Hopefully, I've adequately explained what I would like to achieve

TIA for any leads & solutions

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
How did $1 for cake, $2 for juice and $3 for milk get into the cells C & D.

And when you enter a new date, what happens with the existing $1 for cake, $2 for juice and $3 for milk?

Howard

Upvote 0
The prices and description of the expense in C & D are inputted by me, as is the date in A

Once I input another date in A, nothing happens to C or D,

C & D are just so I can input expenses as the day goes on etc....

What I am trying to do is have an automatic subtotal in B (one instance next to each date inputed in A)... it would be ideal if the subtotal continues to be dynamic as I keep adding expenses for that date in C, but once I input a new date in A, the subtotal will stop calculating for the previous date... and a new subtotal will appear next to the new date in A in B.

Upvote 0
Well, =SUM(C1:C10) in B1 will total up to 10 daily expenses listed in column C. Increase if needed.

But if you change the date in A1 nothing changes the B1 total until you manually delete all the daily expenses in C column and start anew with expenses for the new date.
And of course you would need to manually delete the items in D column too.

Is that what you are shooting for.

Know that a formula can ONLY return a value (or string) to the cell it is in, it can't 'do stuff' to other cells. So no formula in B1 is going to change anything except what is returned to B1.

You said no VBA so unless you go with a worksheet change event that will fire whenever you change the contents of A1, for example code that clears C and D columns entries when change occurs in A1, then you are left to do it your self manually.

For your info the code would look something like this and only fires if a change is made to A1, where upon it clears range C1:D10.

Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address <> "$A$1" Then Exit Sub
Range("C1:D10").ClearContents
End Sub

Howard

Upvote 0
I understand how to manually do a SUM. The point is I want it to be automatic because one day I may only have 3 items, while another day I may have 20. And I don't need anything to be cleared. The daily sum would appear in column B next to every instance I input a date in column A. So my spreadsheet would be growing longer as I input every new date.

I would attach a simple spreadsheet here, if only I knew how :(

Well, =SUM(C1:C10) in B1 will total up to 10 daily expenses listed in column C. Increase if needed.

But if you change the date in A1 nothing changes the B1 total until you manually delete all the daily expenses in C column and start anew with expenses for the new date.
And of course you would need to manually delete the items in D column too.

Is that what you are shooting for.

Know that a formula can ONLY return a value (or string) to the cell it is in, it can't 'do stuff' to other cells. So no formula in B1 is going to change anything except what is returned to B1.

You said no VBA so unless you go with a worksheet change event that will fire whenever you change the contents of A1, for example code that clears C and D columns entries when change occurs in A1, then you are left to do it your self manually.

For your info the code would look something like this and only fires if a change is made to A1, where upon it clears range C1:D10.

Code:
Option Explicit
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Target.Address <> "$A$1" Then Exit Sub
Range("C1:D10").ClearContents
End Sub

Howard

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HockeyBoi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back