How to create Traffic lights from text if cell already has a formula in it

Sly1980

Hi

I hope that this question is clear enough - I have a working document that uses 'R', 'Y', 'G' as potential inputs. This could change daily as team members update it. I've created a summary sheet for the data but the data on the summary sheet is transposed using the an index formula (data that is inputted vertically is shown horizontally in the summary sheet).
I would like to show traffic lights on the summary sheet instead of the letters R, Y, G but excel only supports numerical values for icon sets. There's is quite a bit of data that needs to be pulled across so I'd like to do this without creating an additional column for each category if possible. Please advise if this is possible.
*Bonus - is there any way of adding an additional traffic light to depict if the cell is not completed?

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
How do you define "R, Y, G" or the traffic lights?
I believe something like this could work?
1586422012366.png

* "Empty" is not entered, it was just to show ""
Set-up looks like this:
Book1
CDEFGH
2Value returned (entered manually or by formula)CF
3Badl
4Okayl
5Could be Betterl
6Emptyl
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
H3:H6Expression=$C3="Could Be Better"textNO
H3:H6Expression=$C3="Okay"textNO
H3:H6Expression=$C3="Bad"textNO

Upvote 0
How do you define "R, Y, G" or the traffic lights?
I believe something like this could work?
View attachment 10907
Set-up looks like this:
Book1
CDEFGH
2Value returned (entered manually or by formula)CF
3Badl
4Okayl
5Could be Betterl
6Emptyl
Sheet1
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
H3:H6Expression=$C3="Could Be Better"textNO
H3:H6Expression=$C3="Okay"textNO
H3:H6Expression=$C3="Bad"textNO
Hi
Thank you for the reply. I define R,Y,G as the status of a particular item, i.e., if there are no issues, G, if there are some issues, Y, if issues are critical then R.
I really would like use the traffic lights as this is the generally accepted standard for reporting - so even if its just one circle with the correct colour that would be fine. It would also be ok to leave cells that have no info as blank.

Upvote 0
So you might use your if logic (using countifs?) and then attribute a number where 0 = blank, 1 = G , 2= Y and 3 = R. Finally apply the CF on that value to create the traffic light.
Something like = IF (Countifs (Critical, "Yes"), 3, IF (countifs ( issues, "<>")>Treshold, 2, ...
Not sure if that makes sense with your dataset.

Upvote 0
So you might use your if logic (using countifs?) and then attribute a number where 0 = blank, 1 = G , 2= Y and 3 = R. Finally apply the CF on that value to create the traffic light.
Something like = IF (Countifs (Critical, "Yes"), 3, IF (countifs ( issues, "<>")>Treshold, 2, ...
Not sure if that makes sense with your dataset.
Hi
Thank you for the response - I eventually went the long way of creating new columns with conditional formatting using webdings and colour coding them accordingly. was quite painful but it seems to have worked! thanks again for your time and advice.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBV123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back