How to find product of every other cell

ACSKNIGHTS

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello, I am trying to figure out a formula to count True/False check mark boxes in every other column without having to select every other cell in that row. I have multiple rows for a roster of students with enough columns for every school day (roughly 260) on our school calendar where we will be checking boxes according to whether or not the student ate hot lunch (one column) and if they had an extra meal (next column) for each day. I need to keep a running tally of the two separate values for the entire range but they have to be side by side, therefore I need to count every other column. Is there a shorter way to do this other than adding 260 'Countifs' formulas together? Thanks for your feedback!

@kweaver , sorry but photos are helpful here.
From Developer Tab, insert a check box control.
When the checkbox is drawn, right click and select format control.
1683050891523.png

assign a cell to it:

1683050978087.png

checked value is true, unchecked is False

1683051049475.png

you can tell it how to move/not move.
1683051151236.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I know how to insert a check box...LOL. I was asking the OP that nature of his sheet since we can't see it (for some reason).

Upvote 0
@kweaver I don't think where the OP stores the check box result is that important. He wants to count every other column which has been answered in two different ways here, one using the MOD function and another using EVEN function or ODD function. I'm unsure if the OP is satisfied though.

I know how to insert a check box...LOL. I was asking the OP that nature of his sheet since we can't see it (for some reaso

Upvote 0
How are the check boxes inserted in the cells? Are they from a Form Control or ActiveX?

Please don't post a photo...use XL2BB.
Well, I actually am modifying a template on google sheets that already had the check boxes in it. Thanks to your question to me, I now know HOW to enter the check boxes!! :) Thank you! I am definitely an excel 'beginner' when it comes to everything I need to learn about excel. I am very much appreciating all of this help and feedback!

Upvote 0
AH, you also never said this was Google Sheets which sometimes behaves differently from Excel.

Upvote 0
I think check boxes send values to associated cells, but that mean you need to create a lot of check boxes.

If you do, you just need to know what the checkbox values are and what column they go i
I think check boxes send values to associated cells, but that mean you need to create a lot of check boxes.

If you do, you just need to know what the checkbox values are and what column they go in.
So the check boxes have a value of "true" or "false". When checked, they are true, when empty they are false. I am able to use a COUNIF formula to count them if they return a "true" or "false" value. I wonder if you can enter a value of 0/1 or NO/YES in those cells, and write the desired formula for counting every other column, you should be able to enter True/False for the values. But, there's where I'm stuck. (This is in google sheets, so perhaps this won't even work...?). I'm such a newbie to this, but eager to find the answer!

Upvote 0
In playing around with Google Sheets and 0s and 1s, I tried the following. As the columns expand to additional days, you'd have to modify the Q reference accordingly.

1683148583294.png

Upvote 0
So the check boxes have a value of "true" or "false". When checked, they are true, when empty they are false. I am able to use a COUNIF formula to count them if they return a "true" or "false" value. I wonder if you can enter a value of 0/1 or NO/YES in those cells, and write the desired formula for counting every other column, you should be able to enter True/False for the values. But, there's where I'm stuck. (This is in google sheets, so perhaps this won't even work...?). I'm such a newbie to this, but eager to find the answer!

I'm John Snow when it comes to Google sheets. I know nuthin'.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back