How to find variable length/position text string in cell

hizzle

Can't quite figure this out.

I have a list of part numbers (about 20 characters, containing numbers, letters, symbols and spaces) and what I am trying to do is look for certain "codes" within each part number and put them in a separate column. The code does not always appear at the same position in the part number, nor is it always the same length.

For example, I am trying to take the part numbers
213241KRT : purplewidget
2355434634QCK yellowpencil
43GRVRD : bluephone

And for each part number I want to look and see if the cell contains the code "KRT" or "QCKT" or "GRVRD", and if so then put whichever code is contained in the part number in the column next to it.
I'm guessing this requires some kind of macro, but I haven't been able to find anything that quite works. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you! :)

Ooops - sorry about that - I should have been providing more info.

The words "purplewidget" etc are actually part of the part number. I should have probably just put a string of characters instead to make it a more generic example.

Thanks again - these examples have been a huge help - and answered so quickly...I really appreciate it everyone!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Another option..

=LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A2,LOOKUP(9.9999999E+307,--MID(A2,1,ROW($1:$1024))),""),FIND(" ",SUBSTITUTE(A2,LOOKUP(9.9999999E+307,--MID(A2,1,ROW($1:$1024))),""))-1)

HTH

Upvote 0
barry-
I just tried our your solution example and the code returns "0" when it is searcing for BARRY. I assume something simple I am doing wrong...
Thx

Upvote 0
The formula is case-sensitive so if you have BARRY uppercase in the codelist it will only give a match if BARRY uppercase is found, if you don't want it to work that way then replace "FIND" with "SEARCH" in the formula(s)

SEARCH is not case-sensitive

edit: or....have you removed the text "codelist"? that will affect the formula...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back