How to get axis options to use same units as axis

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a chart with an X axis in date units (3/5/21, 4/12/22, etc.). If I right-click that axis and select Format axis..., the Bounds values are is raw days units.
1655408273969.png

Is there any way to get it to show those numbers in the same format as the axis?

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Sorry, no, but you can type in dates there to set the values. The dates will be converted and shown as day numbers, but at least you can enter what you want without calculating days.

Disclaimer: I have been looking for the same thing for several years and never found it. That doesn't mean it's absolutely impossible, but I don't think it can be done.

Upvote 0
Sorry, no, but you can type in dates there to set the values. The dates will be converted and shown as day numbers, but at least you can enter what you want without calculating days.

Disclaimer: I have been looking for the same thing for several years and never found it. That doesn't mean it's absolutely impossible, but I don't think it can be done.
Well, that's at least better than my solution, which was to add a parallel row with the dates formatted as numbers:

Book1
CDEFG
7DateAMPM
844,5621/01/22157272
944,5631/02/22146253
1044,5641/03/22158174
1144,5651/04/22155284
1244,5661/05/22108224
1344,5671/06/22141132
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D8:D13D8=E8

I wonder if M$FT will ever get its act together and fix even the most glaring deficiencies in their products.

I'll wait a bit to see if anyone comes up with a real solution. If not, I'll come back and mark yours as the solution.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hmm. I haven't done a chart like this in a long while. I just built one in 365 and it shows the x-axis bounds as dates, which it did not do for me in earlier versions.

How did you create your chart? I have axis options that you don't have (first shot). Look at the bottom of the Format panel and see if you can select Date (second shot).

Here's my sample file: JenniferMurphy=chart.xlsx

date axis.jpg

date axis2.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmm. I haven't done a chart like this in a long while. I just built one in 365 and it shows the x-axis bounds as dates, which it did not do for me in earlier versions.

How did you create your chart?
I created the chart a long time ago, so I don't recall exactly how I did it.

I have axis options that you don't have (first shot). Look at the bottom of the Format panel and see if you can select Date (second shot).
Do you mean the Number section of the Format Axis dialog?

That one is currently set to Custom.
1655441200385.png

I changed it to Date, but that did not change the Bounds.
1655441334699.png

Thanks for your help. I don't have time to fiddle with it any more right now. This, IMNSHO, is a significant design flaw -- just one of hundreds.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ravioli44

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back