How to Get Highlighting to Work on ONLY the Active Sheet, Yet Still Have Any Formula Calculations Occur?

Fuddy_Duddy

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
When I have multiple workbooks open and have highlighting using conditional formatting and VBA, all of the sheets get highlighted on the same respective row.

Is there a way to have the highlighting only occur on the active workbook sheet yet still have all of the workbooks updated if a change is made in the active workbook sheet?

The reason for using highlighting is useless if all of the open workbooks get highlighted in the same row every time a cell is clicked.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
What does your highlighting code look like? (I mean, the formula in the CF and the VBA code triggering the highlight to change)

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding.

Here's the Worksheet_SelectionChange:

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)

Target.Calculate

End Sub

And the Conditional Formatting:

=ROW()=CELL("row")

As I said before, they work correctly, but if I have more than one workbook open that has this, they all are synced together and highlight the same rows.

Upvote 0
The reason why this is happening is because CELL(info_type, [reference]) If reference is omitted, then is calculate based off whichever cell is selected at the time of calculation.

I can think of two POTENTIAL ways to get around this.

1) Open up each workbook in a separate instance of Excel. (Hold down ALT while opening excel)

2) Where is your Macro pasted? Is it in a module? Or worksheet? Or what?

Upvote 0
The reason why this is happening is because CELL(info_type, [reference]) If reference is omitted, then is calculate based off whichever cell is selected at the time of calculation.

I can think of two POTENTIAL ways to get around this.

1) Open up each workbook in a separate instance of Excel. (Hold down ALT while opening excel)

2) Where is your Macro pasted? Is it in a module? Or worksheet? Or what?
The macro is in the Worksheet_SelectionChange. The code I posted above is exactly the way every instructional regarding highlighting rows is presented online. The coding works...except in works in every open workbook that has this coding. When I activate a row on one workbook, all of the others jump to the same corresponding row.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adunn_23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back