How to get Total count in a column excluding Blank Cells in a formula..

vasanthkumar1979

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Dear Friends,

I need a little help on this. I have entered formula to make a cell return a value when the data is available on other cell. In the attached excel sheet, I have dates in column E. There are some cells where the date will not be available. I wrote a formula in column F, IF(ISBLANK(E5),"","Yes").

In this case, when I make a pivot chart the empty cells in column F comes with blanks count too. Please help how to ignore this. Is there any addition to above formula to replace "" value?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Dear Friends,

I need a little help on this. I have entered formula to make a cell return a value when the data is available on other cell. In the attached excel sheet, I have dates in column E. There are some cells where the date will not be available. I wrote a formula in column F, IF(ISBLANK(E5),"","Yes").

In this case, when I make a pivot chart the empty cells in column F comes with blanks count too. Please help how to ignore this. Is there any addition to above formula to replace "" value?
Post a real table, not an image. Use the very common add-in XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode, or a link of your workbook example uploaded in cloud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dear Friends,

A bit old, but here are two options:
The one on the left is using a standard Data Range, while the one on the right is formatted as a Table.

For the Left Range, you want to use the COUNTA Function:
"The COUNTA function counts the number of cells that are not empty in a range."
My example: =COUNTA(B2:B8)
The Table is a better option though. I just had to turn on the Total Row and choose Count from the drop-down list and it does the same thing.
VBA Testing.xlsm
ABCDE
1ETAETA ProvidedETAETA Provided
226-AugYes26-AugYes
316-AugYes16-AugYes
525-AugYes25-AugYes
623-AugYes23-AugYes
826-AugYes26-AugYes
97Total7
COUNTA
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B8B2=IF(ISBLANK($A2),"","Yes")
B9B9=COUNTA(B2:B8)
E2:E8E2=IF(ISBLANK($D2),"","Yes")
E9E9=SUBTOTAL(103,[ETA Provided])

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back