How to make a sheet reference absolute

dparnell

Hello,

I have a quick question (hopefully)!

Consider the following formula: =IF(NOT(COUNTA('Candidate (1)'!$A$61:$E$91)),"","TRUE")

When I delete the referenced sheet - "Candidate (1)" - (and replace it with a new, clean, "Candidate (1)" sheet), however, the formula turns into this: =IF(NOT(COUNTA(#REF!$A$61:$E$91)),"","TRUE")
The "#REF!" replaces the sheet name, and thereby breaks the (potential) connect to the newly created "Candidate (1)" sheet.

Why do I delete the sheets? In the normal course of using the workbook, I will move the used sheets (candidates that are no longer active) to another workbook (thereby deleting them from the current workbook), and simply create a new (clean) one - with the same name - to replace them.

All that said, is there a way to make the sheet reference absolute so that it won't change when I delete/recreate a new sheet? And if so, could you please type it exactly as it should be (rather than explaining it)? I am not a programmer, and seeing it typed out is much easier form me to understand.

Thanks for your help/expertise in advance!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Excel dynamically updates formulas to make them point to the same references. For example, if you rename a sheet, then the formula will be updated with the new name. If you delete a sheet, the reference is not longer valid and the formula has a #REF error. Once that happens there is no going back.

One solution to this is to use INDIRECT. Also I am 90% sure that you want the boolean value TRUE and not the string "TRUE" but I did not change that because I am not 100% sure.

Excel Formula:
=IF(NOT(COUNTA(INDIRECT("'Candidate (1)'!$A$61:$E$91"))),"","TRUE")

The drawback of this formula is that the range $A$61:$E$91 is now a string and will not be updated if you insert or delete rows or columns. If that is a possibility let me know and I can provide a somewhat more complicated formula to take that into account.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you so much! This works!
Regarding boolean vs. string: to be direct, I am not sure. I simple want the cell to display "TRUE" when the criteria are met. What would you recommend? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Regarding converting the range to a string: I would prefer that it be dynamic (i.e., that if/when I input any rows, those would follow/accomodate. Would I do that by simply taking out the dollar signs? Thank you!

Upvote 0
I would recommend dropping the quotes around TRUE.

I have done some experimentation with this and I don't think it's going to work when you delete a sheet and re-create it. You need a different way to identify which rows/columns you need to use if they are going to be dynamic.

Upvote 0
I would recommend dropping the quotes around TRUE.

I have done some experimentation with this and I don't think it's going to work when you delete a sheet and re-create it. You need a different way to identify which rows/columns you need to use if they are going to be dynamic.
Ok, got it and understood. Thanks a million!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back