how to make this forum better

I am a true novice. I sometimes try to answer a question, to the best of my knowledge. Then, I check back on the question to see if others have posted answers and compare them to mine. This often showes me where my thinking is in error and has helped me to learn new "tricks" to get theings done. Once in a great while, I have even found that my answer was truly a good one(not often, though). My point is, often the person answering is also trying to learn, so dont be to hard on them.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
If you only want the "correct" answer then hire a consultant. www.consult@mrexcel.com

Even then, there are several ways to skin a cat in Excel/VBA.

Oftentimes seeing alternative opinions not only helps you learn and apply different approaches/methods, but other forum members as well; do you want to deprive everyone of the combined thoughts & contributions of the board?

This could be a fascist or dictatorial environment, but I don't think much would get done then...

Take a look at any other message board like this one and I think that you'll find that free speech abounds. I'd have it no other way. (By the way, the forum moderators/admins here are very flexible; I doubt that you'd even get a hardy-har-har from Microsoft..)

My 2 cents anyway.

Smitty

I thought this was a very good point from "The Tamer" and needed repeating :

the method of getting a person to work for an answer is actually very effective. Firstly because you will be more likely to retain what you’ve learned, and, secondly, you will get used to using the very resourceful help files for yourself.

Andrew. :)

Give a man a fish and he'll ......but teach him to fish and......

Great advice.

I agree with elgringo56's post of 22 Nov 2004 18:35 . I'd like to add to it that I want to give back some of what I have received here. I've "Built" quite a few little Exel toys now for folks to use on the job. I simply could not have put these thing together without those formulas and little snipets of code necessary to make them go. I get those snipets and formulas here!

I do tell folks that I'm a newby to this stuff and that while what I'm sharing with them might work, it quite probably might not be the most elegant way to get the job done.

I will say this though, if the credentials listed; Board Master, MVP etc meant something more tangible than just the number of posts, a person could gain better insight into the value of the answer posted.

StACase said:
I will say this though, if the credentials listed; Board Master, MVP etc meant something more tangible than just the number of posts, a person could gain better insight into the value of the answer posted.

Actually, the MVP title has nothing to do with the number of posts. It's a special designation.

As for the other titles, those are more just for "fun," than anything tangible. Although remember they do say Board Master, not Excel Master ;)

Monkeynuts

Your alias seems to reflect Your behaviour :biggrin:

The best way to *not* get any help at all on a public free forum is to clearly express Your disappointed over an answer
or lack of answers.

Richie(UK) - I have refunded the points & money ;)

adaytay,

Every single member here works (I assume) for an employer, and additionally spends time here as a volunteer.

I´ve informed Your boss so he knows where You are and why he need to hire me instead ;)

Take care everyone (including monkeynuts)

This isn't always going to be relavent though, StACase. To give an (admittedly oversimplified) example:

OP posts question: “What’s the best way to average all the numbers in a range?”.

The answer, “Use AVERAGE()”, is going to be the same from an MVP as it is from a complete novice. Thus the novice’s answer has no less “value” than that of the expert.

Yesterday I posted a question where I got two answers within seconds of each other. The first sent a formula that I understood, and it exactly matched my needs. The second sent a more compact version of the same formula which also worked perfectly. But without the benefit of the first, I wouldn’t really have understood what I was reading in the second.

So, personally, I’m glad that this forum is as it is, because a lot of great answers might potentially have been ignored by OPs who put too much sway on the “credentials” of the helper.

Yesterday I posted a question where I got two answers within seconds of each other.

..which surely demonstrates the power of this Board to help anyone who asks, no matter the question, no matter the level of knowledge. The knowledge is freely shared and may just as freely be ignored.

As for the other titles, those are more just for "fun,"

...just as well because it's taken me a hell of long time to work out how to use the url tags properly. :biggrin:

(Although I may still have a problem with the 'quote' ones....)

Glaswegian,

...just as well because it's taken me a hell of long time to work out how to use the url tags properly.

You must not have had the pleasure of using WordPerfect 5.1, otherwise the tags here would be easy for you :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChipDude83

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back