How to prevent hidden rows and columns from being unhidden.

Tanner_2004

Is there a way in Excel 2010 to make hidden rows or columns "impossible" to unhide without a password or access to any coding?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
If you hide them and then protect the sheet with all the boxes checked except Format columns and Format rows, then users should be able to use the sheet normally except for unhiding rows and columns. However they won't be able to format or adjust the widths.

There is a thread that has VBA for preventing users from unhidding columns and rows, if you want to go that route:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-...-columns-but-keep-certain-columns-hidden.html

Upvote 0
Thanks....I will check both out! I kept reading that VBA can't, but I am eager to view the link. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This worked great. Thank you. By way check all of the boxes. If I am going to protect the sheet, why allow users to se see that they have activated a protected cell?

Upvote 0
Glad it worked for you. Yeah, unchecking whatever other limitations you wanted for the sheet would be best. Wasn't sure which other functionality you wanted to maintain.

Upvote 0
One way to do this without hiding or protection is to put the "hidden" columns far to the right of the other sheets and then limit the ScrollArea of the worksheet so the user can't scroll to see them.

Upvote 0
I would be careful about putting anything too important inside an Excel that you wish not to be seen by others. Without a password or code, it would take me less than a minute to access this information.

Section removed by Moderator:
Refer #11 of the Forum Rules

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thant is excellent advice. I password protect everything including my code. Doesn't make proof, but I am ok with that. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Pizza Guy, Excel is not a secure platform. Even with code and a password, it would take less than 5 minutes to find a ******* on the web to display the sensitive information.

I'm agreeing with you that no sensitive information should be put on an Excel worksheet.
I'm disagreeing that trusting passwords and protection is sufficient.

My personal approach is that protecting the data from clumsy users is a valid use of time.
But trying to achieve security inside Excel is futile and a waste of a developer's time.
If security is important, don't use Excel.
IMO. There are others who disagree.

Upvote 0
Thank you. Just to give all some context. I am only hiding columns with a label (on top) and formulas inside the cells of the columns. The hiding is about decreasing the width of the sheet and not distracting the user/data entry clerk with superfluous columns/cells. If the users were to crack the password, nothing confidential would be exposed. Thanks again folks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookie2956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back