How to randomly generate list of names that can vary in length

flukioni

So i would like to create a league table that has the ability to generate a random (or certainly something that appears random possibly using RAND or RANDBETWEEN) set of plays/matches of singles, doubles and trebles.

So on my darts team there is the POSSIBILITY of 4 to 7 players. (THIS POSSIBILITY IS CAUSING ME HUGE ISSUES)
There are 5 singles games, 4 doubles games and 4 trebles games.

No 1 person can obviously be matched with them selves on either the doubles or trebles

The sheet i would like to make will be giving me a list of who is to play what match and with whom.

If i could guarantee there would always be 5 players, i can scrape by with a RAND function that i have used to create a unique identifier next to a list of names that i can then VLOOKUP to drop into a table, only problem is when i get more or less than this number, i am left with a match/game that has no second/third player (when there is only 4 players) or the potential for the 6th or 7th player to never be picked.

i hope this makes sense and someone can help as this is driving me insane.

i did find a formula (below) that kind of got me part way there, i thought, but there is no way to regulate how many times it will pick a certain name.

=INDEX($A:$A,RANDBETWEEN(1,COUNTA($A:$A)),1)

I would like to try and accomplish this without the use of code/vba and just with functions/formula as would like to to work on google sheet (dont shoot me, i just need it mobile as this will be altered/generated when i dont have my laptop, only my iphone) at a push i could use excel on my phone, its just that i have already created a second sheet for something else to do with the teams on google sheets.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PatrickL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back