How to remove NULL string from cells?

Excel Chimp

Board Regular
Does anyone have any idea on how to do this for an entire worksheet? I've read many posts but I cannot get it done.
Thank you!

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
I know this question is ancient, but, I had the same difficulty this morning, and I have a solution to share...

To restate the problem:
How to clear cells containing null strings, such as those created by the FALSE condition of: =IF(A=B, "Blah blah", "")
If you hit Control+Down from the top of a column containing values and empty strings, it'll pass straight to the bottom, as if those cells are filled.

What doesn't work:
  • Goto Special -> Blanks
  • Find & Replace with "" or nothing in the "Find what:" box.
  • Empty strings can be selected in an AutoFilter as (blank), and then deleted, but, if you want to get the entire worksheet or workbook in one go, this isn't a solution.

What does work (finally!):
  1. In the Find & Replace dialog box, leave the "Find what:" box empty.
  2. Enter any value that doesn't exist yet in your data, let's say, a pipe ("|") in the "Replace with:" box.
  3. Replace All
  4. Now, enter the pipe in the "Find what:" box, and clear the "Replace with:" box. Replace All, and you're done!
  5. If you want this to work for the entire workbook, select "Workbook" in the "Within:" dropdown.

Upvote 0
I just realized, that this tip comes with a caveat. If you don't select a specific region, Search & Replace will still restrict itself to the UsedArea of the worksheet (or workbook, if you choose that option). This is a good thing. Otherwise, the operation would take forever, give or take a few minutes.

Still, if the UsedArea of your worksheet/workbook covers a very large area, this can still take a very long time, so you're going to want to restrict the Search & Replace only to the area that contains the null strings that you want to replace, if at all possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
againofsoul

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back