How to select but not edit or delete protected cells

CampingCarl101

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I have an excel file that has data in a non-table format that I'd like to let users have the ability to select the cell but not be able to change or delete the contents. I've selected "locked" for these cells and protected the sheet. This works in preventing any change or deletion, but the cells can't be selected. Our users would like the ability to select these cells to see the average or sum of multiple locked cells. I've tried preventing edits with data validation, but it doesn't stop the deletion of the cells.

Open to suggestions on how to make this work. My thought: Is there a way in VBA to prevent any cell that is locked to be edited or deleted? Without having to actually protect the sheet?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi CampingCarl101,

When you select the "Protect Sheet" option, it should show a dialogue box where you can (optionally) enter a password and then select from various options what you would like users of the worksheet to be allowed to do. The first two options should be:
[1] Select locked cells
[2] Select unlocked cells

If you make sure these are both checked, even once protected, your users should be able to select any cell on the worksheet. Any locked cells would not be editable or able to be deleted.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
accessbob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back