How to sum a row of data with some cells containing an extra character

messiah1028

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,

I’m having an issue summing a row of cells, some of which contain a character that is not a letter. I need this character to differentiate some of the entries from one another. Some of the cells have a number followed by ‘!’ or ‘£’ however I may need to add an additional character at some point.

When I sum the length of the row I receive a total that is only the cells without an extra character but I need the cell containing the extra character to be counted.

For info, the numbers in front of the ‘!’ or ‘£’ could be in the ones, tens, hundreds or possibly thousands.

An example of a row is:

1697199124035.png

Can anyone suggest a formula that would fix my problem?

I initially tried this formula from a thread with a similar issue: =SUM(SUBSTITUTE(C4:C8, "*",” ”) but this returned an output of 0 unless I'm using it incorrectly.

A way around this would be to differentiate the cells another way, I initially tried doing this by filling the cell with a specific colour and using a custom function to count the cells by colour but this seemed to slow down my computer and it didn’t update as I inputted data and filled the cells so it wasn’t ideal.

If anyone thinks of an easier way of differentiating the cells that can then be used in further formulas and is easier than the summing conundrum above feel free to suggest it! Ideally I would like to keep the values with the extra character in the same row as the other cells as the order is quite important to other calculations I'm doing.

Thanks in advance

Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back